Employee Training - Benefits and Steps in Employee Training Programme
Training implies enhancing the skills and knowledge of the employees for performing a specific job. Training tries to improve employees performance in current job and prepares them for future job. The crucial consequence of training is learning.
Objectives of Employee Training Programmes
- To prepare employees to meet the varying and challenging needs of the job and organization
- To provide knowledge and skills to new entrants and to help them to perform their role and job well.
- To coach employees for more complex and higher level jobs.
- To educate employees new and innovative ways and techniques of performing job.
Benefits of Trained Employees
Training is a significant tool for employee development. Training has assumed great importance because of exceptional rate of change in the internal and external organizational environment. The importance/benefits of trained personnel towards organizational development are as follows-
- Trained employees do not require tight control and supervision as they are well aware of how to perform a job.
- Trained employees can show higher performance by making optimum and best utilization of the materials, tools, equipments and other resources provided to them.
- Trained employees minimize wastages of resources in the organization and work both efficiently and effectively.
- Training makes employees more committed to an organization as the employees are provided with growth, advancement and learning opportunities.
- Training develops a line of proficient and skilled managers as it prepares employees for complex and higher level tasks.
- Trained employees adjust to the job better and there are fewer rates of absenteeism and turnover.
- Trained employees produce quality and quantity output.
- Trained employees enable the organization to face competition from rival firms.
- Trained employees can respond and adapt to the changing technology well.
- Trained employees become more proficient and, thus, their earning potential increase.
Steps in Employee Training Programme
Training programme involves the following steps:
- Identifying the training needs- The training needs of each employee should be identified. Programmes should be developed that are best suited to their needs.
- Prepare the trainer- The trainer must do his home work well. He should know both what to teach and how to teach. Time management is required by the trainer. Training should be delivered in such a manner that the trainee should not loose the interest in the job.
- Prepare the trainee- The trainee should remain active during training. He should know that why is he being trained. He should put across the trainer questions and doubts. The trainee should be put at ease during the training programme.
- Explain and demonstrate the operations- The trainer should explain the logical sequence of the job. The trainee should perform the job systematically and explain the complete job he is performing. His mistakes should be rectified and the complex step should be done for him once. When the trainee demonstrates that he can do the job in right manner, he is left to himself. Through repetitive practices, the trainee acquires more skill.
- Follow up and feedback- The trainee should be given feedback on how well he performed the job. He should be asked to give a feedback on the effectiveness of training programme.
Management Study Guide (MSG) is an educational portal launched with the vision of providing students and corporate workforces worldwide with access to rich, easy to understand, frequently updated instruction on many management related topics.
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
Learn management concepts & Skills rapidly with easy to understand, richly illustrated learning modules
- Optimum lively Graphics and Animation to make the concept easy to understand
- Enter Your Email Id & Download 8 FREE Powerpoint Presentation Now!