Management Style - Meaning and Different Types of Styles
The art of getting employees together on a common platform and extracting the best out of them refers to effective organization management.
Management plays an important role in strengthening the bond amongst the employees and making them work together as a single unit. It is the managements responsibility to ensure that employees are satisfied with their job responsibilities and eventually deliver their level best.
The management must understand its employees well and strive hard to fulfill their expectations for a stress free ambience at the workplace.
What is Management Style ?
Every leader has a unique style of handling the employees (Juniors/Team). The various ways of dealing with the subordinates at the workplace is called as management style.
The superiors must decide on the future course of action as per the existing culture and conditions at the workplace. The nature of employees and their mindsets also affect the management style of working.
Different Management Styles
- Autocratic Style of Working
- In such a style of working, the superiors do not take into consideration the ideas and suggestions of the subordinates.
- The managers, leaders and superiors have the sole responsibility of taking decisions without bothering much about the subordinates.
- The employees are totally dependent on their bosses and do not have the liberty to take decisions on their own.
- The subordinates in such a style of working simply adhere to the guidelines and policies formulated by their bosses. They do not have a say in managements decisions.
- Whatever the superiors feel is right for the organization eventually becomes the companys policies.
- Employees lack motivation in autocratic style of working.
- Paternalistic Style of Working
- In paternalistic style of working, the leaders decide what is best for the employees as well as the organization.
- Policies are devised to benefit the employees and the organization.
- The suggestions and feedback of the subordinates are taken into consideration before deciding something.
- In such a style of working, employees feel attached and loyal towards their organization.
- Employees stay motivated and enjoy their work rather than treating it as a burden.
- Democratic Style of Working
- In such a style of working, superiors welcome the feedback of the subordinates.
- Employees are invited on an open forum to discuss the pros and cons of plans and ideas.
- Democratic style of working ensures effective and healthy communication between the management and the employees.
- The superiors listen to what the employees have to say before finalizing on something.
- Laissez-Faire Style of Working
- In such a style of working, managers are employed just for the sake of it and do not contribute much to the organization.
- The employees take decisions and manage work on their own.
- Individuals who have the dream of making it big in the organization and desire to do something innovative every time outshine others who attend office for fun.
- Employees are not dependent on the managers and know what is right or wrong for them.
- Management by Walking Around Style of Working
- In the above style of working, managers treat themselves as an essential part of the team and are efficient listeners.
- The superiors interact with the employees more often to find out their concerns and suggestions.
- In such a style of working, the leader is more of a mentor to its employees and guides them whenever needed.
- The managers dont lock themselves in cabins; instead walk around to find out what is happening around them.
Management Study Guide (MSG) is an educational portal launched with the vision of providing students and corporate workforces worldwide with access to rich, easy to understand, frequently updated instruction on many management related topics.
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
Learn management concepts & Skills rapidly with easy to understand, richly illustrated learning modules
- Optimum lively Graphics and Animation to make the concept easy to understand
- Enter Your Email Id & Download 9 FREE Powerpoint Presentations Now!