Negotiation is referred to as the style of discussing things among individuals in an effort to come to a conclusion satisfying all the parties involved. Discussions should be on an open forum for every one to not only participate but also express their views and reach to an alternative acceptable to all.
It is important how we negotiate with each other. One must know the difference between negotiating and begging. Do not stoop too low to get a deal closed. Negotiation must be in a dignified way. One has to be extremely patient and also understand the second partys needs and interests as well. Never impose your ideas on anyone. Let everyone speak their mind and decide something which would favour one and all.
Let us go through some negotiation techniques in detail:
- The first and the foremost technique for an effective negotiation is one should be well informed with everything related to the deal. Find out even the minutest detail you think is important and you might require at the time of negotiation. Be prepared for everything. Remember the second party might ask you anything.
Janet wanted to purchase a new laptop. She checked out the prices of almost all the leading brands along with their features before going to the outlet. She went well prepared and thus managed to crack the best deal and took the best quality laptop with the maximum possible discount.
- Take good care of your posture as well as your body movements. Look confident. While speaking, dont look around or play with things. Its just a discussion, no one will kill you if you are not able to close the deal. Dont stammer in between or start sweating in front of others. The second party will take undue advantage if they find you nervous. Take care of your dressing as well. Dont wear anything which is too casual. If you dress casually people will not take you seriously.
- Be very focused. One should be very specific what he wants. First ask yourself what is the purpose of this negotiation? What do you actually want? What is the affordable price for you? Be firm and stick to it. Be very specific and clear.
- Never keep things to yourself and crib later. Dont assume that the other person can read your mind on his own. One needs to ask for what he wants. A mother will not feed her child unless and until he cries. Speak your heart out. If you are not satisfied with the deal, show your displeasure to others. Express them that you are not very happy with the price and it needs to be revised.
- Be a patient listener. Listen to others as well. Think about their interest and needs as well. Dont ask for anything which would not benefit the second party. Dont jump to conclusions and never interfere when the other person is speaking. Listen to the other partys proposal as well; he might come up with something unique which you could not even think.
- Be realistic. Dont ask for something you yourself know is not possible. Dont quote anything just for the sake of it. One should be a little practical in his approach. Dont ask for irrational discounts. Be logical. Its nothing bad to think about your personal interests, but one should not be mad for it. If you want to purchase something, also remember that the store owner has to earn his profits as well.
- Dont be in a hurry to close the deal. Take your time to discuss things among yourselves. Make sure you are deciding something which would be a win win situation for all. Never drag any discussion and make the conversation too long. Too much of pleading and persuasion result in a big zero and no conclusion can be drawn out of it.
- Know where to compromise. An individual has to compromise sometimes to come to an output. If you feel that if you accept some terms and conditions, things would be better and it would not harm you much, go ahead. Everyone needs to compromise sometimes or the other. Even in marriages, one partner needs to negotiate with the other for better understanding.
- Communication is also important in negotiation. Speak clearly and precisely. One should not confuse others. Playing with words is one of the biggest threats to negotiation. Dont use derogatory or lewd remarks against anyone.
- For a third party its always better to sign a contract or have something in black and white so that no body backs out later. Its always better to sign agreements in the presence of both the parties for better transparency. At workplace after every discussion and negotiation, emails or minutes of the meeting must be circulated among all the team members for everyone to get a clear and the same picture.
|❮ Previous Article||Next Article ❯|
About the Author(s)
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
- Negotiation - Introduction
- Models of Negotiation
- Types of Negotiation in Corporates
- Preparing for Win Win Negotiation
- Importance of Negotiation in Corporates
- Importance of Negotiation in Daily Life
- Negotiation Skills
- Negotiation Techniques
- Challenges for an Effective Negotiation
- Role of Communication in Negotiation
- Role of Personality in Negotiation
- Role of Emotions in Negotiation
- Tips for a Successful Negotiation
- Salary Negotiation