HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!
What are Ageism and Youngism and Why They Matter to America Inc?
Of late, there has been much discussion about how the Ageing Boomers are retiring, or on the verge of retirement, while younger Gen Zers are entering the post pandemic workforce, while the Millennials are settling into managerial positions.
These workforce trends are indicative of a generational change happening across America Inc, which is both momentous and once in a blue moon shift.
However, the flip side of this upheaval at workplaces across the United States are newer forms of discrimination against both older and younger workers and professionals.
The terms used to describe this are Ageism and Youngism. The former relates to discrimination against older workers whereas the latter refers to discrimination against younger workers.
Both are manifestations of harassment and violation of individual rights and so, the HR or Human Resource challenge is to combat them, if not prevent such discrimination, lest the workplace turns toxic.
Indeed, Ageism and Youngism are directed more at Boomers and women professionals respectively, thereby accentuating existing faultlines in discriminatory behavior against these categories of professionals.
How do Ageism and Youngism manifest themselves in the workplace? Some Covert Forms of Discrimination
Let us take some real world examples. Often, older workers are derided as waiting for a retirement package or as individuals who are whiling away their time before they retire.
They are often excluded from participating in Water Cooler discussions and informal office lunches and the like.
The clear implication here is that their times up and so, they are of no value to their coworkers and the organization in general.
Indeed, Ageism is so rampant in America Inc, especially with Millions of Boomers retiring that concerned business leaders are urging against such discrimination.
Youngism, on the other hand, manifests through patriarchal notions of the right age for responsibilities and often, younger workers are excluded from serious discussions because they are too young.
In our working experience, we have been told multiple times not to ask questions about coworkers or organizational issues, just because we are still greenhorns or novices.
Instances of Ageism and Youngism That Are More Overt and Damaging to America Inc
While these are instances of rather benign discrimination, there are other serious forms if Ageism and Youngism which we will discuss in the next section.
For instance, Ageism can manifest during Appraisals, when older workers are denied pay hikes or bonuses because they are unfit for the job or the role.
They can also remain stagnant in their current positions as senior managers and executives feel that they are not valuable anymore.
Such covert and overt discrimination warrants action on part of the HR as well senior execs, who must then step in to rectify the situation.
On the other hand, Youngism also is discriminatory as similar forms of discrimination can upset the younger workers and demoralize them.
Indeed, as more and more Gen Zers enter the workforce, HR and Senior execs have their task cut out to prevent Youngism from destroying an entire generation of workers.
More so, when women professionals bear the brunt of Ageism and Youngism more than their male counterparts.
Recently, the Harvard Business Review featured an article about women in senior leadership for whom there is never a right age or in other words, they are either too old or too young for being considered for responsibilities.
This is the HR Challenge that America Inc must confront, if corporates are to handle the post pandemic workforce challenges more effectively.
Overt Ageism and Youngism that Can Erode Organizational Efficiency and Lower Productivity
The reason why both Ageism and Youngism can lead to productivity and efficiency drops is because both older and younger workers have more to offer than what is thought.
For instance, older Boomers often have a wealth of experience whereas younger workers often are a storehouse of knowledge which can be utilized for the benefit of the organization.
Indeed, by pairing these age cohorts, experience and knowledge can be transferred in a two way symbiotic exchange.
This is where the HR professionals have to step in and facilitate greater interaction and participation in organizational activities by both Boomers and Gen Zers.
For that matter, even Gen Xers and Millennials can learn a lot from the aforementioned age cohorts, thereby ensuring a workplace free of toxicity.
As it is, America Inc is struggling to normalize after the Pandemic and it surely cannot afford another headache in the form of Ageism and Youngism in its ranks.
Already, business leaders are voicing concern over labor shortages and the last thing they need is Boomers retiring prematurely or Gen Zers exiting a la The Great Resignation once again.
Ageism and Youngism are Unavoidable! High Time America Inc Learned to Manage Them
Inter generational conflict is unavoidable in the workplaces and more so, when there is an once in a lifetime shift, like the one that America Inc is going through.
Significantly, this shift is happening when the New Normal of the Digital Age is yet to manifest fully.
So, this is like a Double Whammy of sorts for American businesses as they grapple with multiple challenges, compounded by Quiet Quitting, The Great Resignation, and Revenge Quitting.
To conclude, it is obvious that Ageism and Youngism are unavoidable. So, the key HR challenge here is to manage and contain them before they cause real harm to workers.
In a way, Return to Office mandates can work in favor of American corporates as they can help bonding between Boomers and Gen Zers.
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!