Benefits of Fantasy Sports Leagues
In the previous article, we have already seen what fantasy sports leagues are.
We also know why sports leagues across the world are trying to associate themselves with fantasy sports companies. This is despite the fact that such sports companies are also heavily criticized by one section of society and they are often said to be the gateway to gambling.
Sports leagues are of the opinion that fantasy sports require a combination of luck and skill to be successful. They are not purely dependent upon chance. Hence, like the stock market, they cannot be conflated with gambling.
Many sports leagues consider fantasy sports to be a new and unexplored avenue that will drive future growth in the already saturated sports market. This is because fantasy sports are a wonderful tool to drive several marketing objectives.
In this article, we will have a closer look at some of the economic benefits provided by fantasy sports leagues.
- Increased Engagement: The first and foremost benefit of fantasy sports leagues is the fact that they provide increased user-level engagement in sporting events. When users do not have any stake in the sporting event, they do not follow it as closely. However, if they do have a stake in the event, even if it is a symbolic small monetary stake, viewers tend to pay a lot more attention to the game.
Also, some fantasy sporting applications allow users to make some changes in their team based on the current state of affairs in the actual match. Hence, sporting leagues have noticed that their engagement with their fans increases manifold if they use fantasy sporting leagues.
The level of engagement is an important economic parameter that influences the advertisement and sponsorship rates as well. It is for this reason that sports leagues encourage fantasy sports by partnering with one of the companies and designating them as the official fantasy sports partner.
- Increased Viewership: Another important point to note about fantasy league sports is the fact that not only does it increase the engagement of the existing viewers, but it also increases the number of viewers who watch the event. This is because fantasy sporting league generally changes the nature of sports from an individual experience to a group experience.
It is common for friends to compete with each other in fantasy sports leagues. Also, it is common for workplaces to have competitions wherein their employees participate in such fantasy sports leagues. As a result, individuals who would not have otherwise watched the event, also end up watching it since it becomes a viewership experience. This is another reason that sports league prefers to partner with fantasy leagues since their overall viewership end up being increased.
- User Level Data: Users can play fantasy sports leagues by downloading mobile applications on their phones. Now, mobile applications have a lot of advantages as far as marketing is concerned.
Mobile applications can help track the other activities performed by the user on the phone. As such, sports leagues can obtain a lot of user-level data from fantasy sports league applications.
However, the sports leagues also need to invest in IT infrastructure so that they can use data analytics tools that can help them understand the types of products and services that are purchased by the customers. This high level of data relating to the viewers can be very useful for sports leagues. If used diligently, it can lead to a lot of monetary benefits for the league as a whole.
- Targeted Sponsorships: The data derived in the previous step can be put to good use by obtaining targeted sponsorships.
As mentioned above, fantasy sports leagues can help collect extensive data about a certain demographic of users. This data can be used as a base and further extrapolation can be made using data science. This helps to develop a clearer understanding of the target audience.
Also, it is easier to convince sponsors to increase the amount of sponsorship funds once there is some sort of credible data present to back up the claims being made. Hence, it can be said that fantasy sports leagues supplement other sources of income for the league by providing them with valuable information that can be used to increase the value of advertisements as well as the sponsorship being sold.
- New Revenue Stream: Lastly, fantasy sports leagues are an important source of revenue for sporting leagues.
The revenue derived from fantasy sporting leagues has already reached around 25% of the revenue derived from broadcasting revenue worldwide. This is a huge number considering the fact that the idea of fantasy sports leagues is quite nascent. Hence, it can be said that the idea is already very successful and given the growth rate, it is likely to succeed at an even faster rate in the future.
The bottom line is that there are several benefits that accrue to sporting leagues as a result of fantasy sports leagues. This is the reason why sports leagues across the world have started ignoring the so-called disadvantages and negative publicity associated with fantasy sports and are making them an integral part of their marketing as well as their user experience.
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By “Prachi Juneja” and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Finance in Sports Management
- Sports Management Companies: Sources of Financing
- What is Sports Franchising?
- Sports League Franchise Agreement
- Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues
- Issues in Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues
- How Salary Caps Work in Sports Leagues?
- Advantages of Salary Caps
- Disadvantages of Salary Caps
- Alternative To Salary Caps: Luxury Tax
- Sources of Revenue: Broadcasting Rights
- How are Broadcasting Rights Revenue Split Amongst Franchises?
- Common Issues with Revenue Generated from Broadcasting Right
- Digital Media Rights and Sports League Financing
- Sports League Sponsorships: A Primer
- Types of Sponsorships Given to Individual Players
- The Economics of Sports Leagues
- Why Do Sponsors Fund Teams in Sports Leagues?
- Title Sponsorship and its Disadvantages
- Advantages of Title Sponsorship
- Team Sponsorship: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Objectives of Sponsorships
- Factors Affecting Selection of Sponsorship of Sports Event
- Risks Associated with Sponsorship from Sponsor’s Perspective
- Risks Associated with Sponsorship from Sponsored Entity’s Perspective
- Level Based Sponsorship (Tiered Sponsorship)
- Issues With Sponsorship Levels
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Sports Sponsorships
- Issues Related to Sponsorship Evaluation
- Source of Revenue: Fantasy Sports Leagues
- Benefits of Fantasy Sports Leagues
- Source of Revenue: Sports Merchandising
- Issues With Merchandising
- How are Organizational Aspects of Sports Leagues Linked to Finance
- The Optimal Size of a Sports League
- Why are Professional Sports Franchises Increasing in Value?
- Use of Price to Revenue Ratio in Valuing Sports Franchises
- Factors Impacting the Valuation of a Sports Franchise
- Income Approach to Valuation of Sports Franchises
- Valuation of Sports Franchises: Discount Rate Calculation
- Issues in Determining Discount Rate for Valuation of Sports Franchises
- Valuation of Sports Franchises: Discount Rate Calculation
- Replacement Cost Approach Advantages and Disadvantages
- Valuation of a Sports Franchise: Market Approach
- How Team Performance Affects Valuation?
- Issues With the Valuation of Sports Franchises
- Impact of Technology on Sporting Finance
- Revenue From Releasing Players for International Tournaments
- Private Equity Investments in the Sports World
- Disadvantages of Private Equity Investment in Sporting Franchises
- Why do Sporting Franchises Lease Out Stadiums?
- Disadvantages of Leasing Out Stadiums
- Accounting for Stadium Leases
- Lease Accounting: Right of Use Asset
- The Case Against Government Funding for Sports Stadiums
- Public-Private Partnership in Stadium Financing
- Advantages of Public Private Partnership Model
- Risks in Public-Private Partnerships
- What is Sports Tourism?
- Pros and Cons of Sports Tourism
- How Sporting Franchises Help Billionaires to Plan Their Taxes
- What is Jock Tax and How is it Calculated?
- Jock Taxes: Pros and Cons
- Valuation of a Player
- Financial Doping and Financial Fair Play
- Pros and Cons of Financial Fair Play Rules
- Debt Funding in Sports Franchises
- Involvement of the Franchisor in Debt Funding
- Debt Ceiling in Sporting World
- Pros and Cons of Debt Ceilings in Sports Leagues
- Securitization and Sports Finance
- Types of Securitizations in Sporting Franchises
- Advantages of Securitization in Sports
- Disadvantages of Securitization in Sports
- Accounting for Player Contracts
- Impairment in Sporting Franchises and Player Contracts
- Accounting for Players Who Have been Promoted Internally
- Why Government Should Not Invest Public Money in Sports Stadiums Used by Professional Franchises