Brand Associations are not benefits, but are images and symbols associated with a brand or a brand benefit. For example- The Nike Swoosh, Netflix sound, Film Stars as with Lux, signature tune Ting-ting-ta-ding with Britannia, Blue colour with Pepsi, etc.
Associations are not reasons-to-buy but provide acquaintance and differentiation thats not replicable. It is relating perceived qualities of a brand to a known entity.
- Hyatt Hotel is associated with luxury and comfort;
- BMW is associated with sophistication, fun driving, and superior engineering.
- Most popular brand associations are with the owners of brand, such as - Bill Gates and Microsoft, Reliance and Dhirubhai Ambani.
Brand association is anything which is deep seated in customers mind about the brand. Brand should be associated with something positive so that the customers relate your brand to being positive.
Brand associations are the attributes of brand which come into consumers mind when the brand is talked about. It is related with the implicit and explicit meanings which a consumer relates/associates with a specific brand name.
Brand association can also be defined as the degree to which a specific product/service is recognized within its product/service class/category. While choosing a brand name, it is essential that the name chosen should reinforce an important attribute or benefit association that forms its product positioning. For instance - Power book.
Brand associations are formed on the following basis:
- Customers contact with the organization and its employees;
- Word of mouth publicity;
- Price at which the brand is sold;
- Celebrity/big entity association;
- Quality of the product;
- Products and schemes offered by competitors;
- Product class/category to which the brand belongs;
- POP ( Point of purchase) displays; etc
Positive brand associations are developed if the product which the brand depicts is durable, marketable and desirable. The customers must be persuaded that the brand possess the features and attributes satisfying their needs. This will lead to customers having a positive impression about the product.
Positive brand association helps an organization to gain goodwill, and obstructs the competitors entry into the market.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Brand Management - Introduction
- What is a Brand ?
- Brand Name
- Brand Attributes
- Brand Positioning
- Brand Identity
- Sources of Brand Identity
- Brand Image
- Brand Identity vs Brand Image
- Brand Personality
- Brand Awareness
- Brand Loyalty
- Brand Association
- Brand Promise
- Building a Brand
- Brand Equity
- Brand Equity & Customer Equity
- Brand Extension
- Why Do Brands Have Extensions ?
- Brand Extension - A Success or Failure ?
- Brand Value
- Brand Value Measurement
- Brand Categories
- Marketing Career Option
- Do Brands Happen or are they Made ?
- What Do Brands Do ?
- Brand Management Challenges
- Corporate Branding - A Discussion
- Changing Profile of Brand Managers
- Branding in the Age of Information and Internet
- Tips for Successful Brand Management
- What is Perception Management and why it is Important for Organizational Success