What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
The Pervasive Use of AI Powered Recruitment Tools
Increasingly, many large and medium sized as well as small businesses are turning to AI or Artificial Intelligence powered algorithms and software in their HR or Human Resources processes.
Whether it is recruitment where AI driven software parses through the mass of resumes in a jiffy and finds the best (or at least the best according to the way in which the algorithms are coded) possible match from the available resume pool or in training and development where real time AI driven learning and tests are made available to the employees, the pervasive use of such technologies is becoming more popular among firms of all sizes and niches.
Indeed, it would not be an understatement to say that the entire End to End HR Value Chain is being automated using earlier generation technologies as well as new gen and cutting edge software and tools that are powered by AI.
The Advantages of AI in Recruitment and Selection Processes
While there are some obvious benefits to using AI powered tools for HR processes especially in terms of the efficiencies from the economies of scale and the synergies from automation of the HR value chain, there are some downsides as well since technology and its use eliminates or reduces the human element that is so crucial to a business function such as HR where decisions are taken intuitively and through gut feel.
Lets start with the pros or the advantages of using AI for HR processes. In earlier days, corporates and their HR staff were constrained by the sheer numbers of resumes that would land in their inboxes everyday as well as in response to targeted and specific ads that they would put out in various media outlets.
The practice of bombarding the employer with thousands of resumes from just about anybody and everybody and from anywhere and everywhere was also encouraged by the many online job sites which sometimes had a paid service known as resume blasting which allowed the applicants to send their resumes to all possible employers.
In such cases, the corporates at the receiving end of that many resumes would then sift through them by keyword selection and by taking the help of the aforementioned job sites in selecting the right matches.
It is obvious to anyone that this process is not only time consuming but also less than optimal since there was a high chance of the wrong resumes being selected whereas deserving and high quality applicants were not even shortlisted.
This is where AI driven software comes in handy to the corporates as their HR staff or the Recruitment teams can simply feed all the resumes automatically into it and then, let it do the sorting.
In addition to saving time, this practice also allows the HR team to drill down to as much granularity as possible and as arrive at as close a fitment as possible.
Thus, AI in the recruitment process does indeed reap the employers much benefit in terms of scale and synergies. What more, the possibility of back door entries by unscrupulous candidates with ties and links to compromised insiders within firms was also reduced if not totally eliminated?
What the Recent Case of Amazons AI Recruitment Tool is a Wake Up Call
Having said that, there are some downsides to using AI in recruitment as well. While such technology might be handy at the resume short listing stage, some concerns about this phase being compromised have come to light in recent weeks.
For instance, the worlds leading online retailer, Amazon, had to retire its AI powered recruitment tool as it was found to be biased against female applicants.
Though this might seem surprising to many especially when one considers how AI is a machine like entity and hence, the possibility of human biases do not creep into it, there is always the likelihood that it can be programmed to mimic human decision making and this is where one thinks that despite AI and technology being value neutral, the people in charge can still manipulate it for their selfish ends.
Indeed, the fact that American corporates proudly declare their color blindness as far as recruitment and selection is concerned and boast of bias free selection and interviewing were in for a surprise with this latest development in Amazon means that the downsides of using AI in recruitment have not yet been fully thought through.
In other words, while technology was supposed to do away with the middlemen and middle women and thus, eliminate the possibility of gaming the system, the fact that the gatekeepers of such technologies within the corporates can still hold the power to program it the way they want is surprising only to those who forget the successive waves of new technologies and the euphoric promise which heralded their emergence followed by a pessimistic and cynical resignation of the more things change, the more they remain the same.
The Perils of Relying on Technology Alone
Lastly, the case of Amazon is like the Canary in the Coalmine wherein the dangers of relying on AI too much are similar to the ones depicted in the movie, Jurassic Park, where the crooked character passes on the crucial trade secrets to outsiders thereby turning a revolutionary experiment into a nightmare.
Indeed, if not anything Amazons decision to do away with its recruitment software should serve as a wakeup call to others believing in the magical power of technology.
To conclude, AI in recruitment remains to be a game changer provided there are safeguards in place to prevent its misuse.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!