The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
The Recruitment and Onboarding of New Employees in Virtual Workplaces
With much of the corporate world operating virtually and where WFH or Work from Home is the New Normal, HR (Human Resources) personnel find it challenging to conduct regular HR work in such models.
This is because unlike in physical offices, they cannot come face to face with employees and find out from them about their problems as well as communicate to them about the mandates of their managers and employers.
This is especially so in case of recruitment and Onboarding of new recruits that is challenging for all parties.
Moreover, HR staff has to go by what the applicants say online and over Zoom as they do not have the chance to figure out subtle cues and body language that often happens when people meet face to face.
In addition, the vibes and the chemistry between the recruiters and the jobseekers have to be gauged virtually in the absence of physical contact.
Apart from this, Onboarding, or the process of taking new employees through the paces is challenging as well since such new recruits cannot be given a tour of the office or meet with other senior managers.
Why Training and Onboarding Can Become Challenging in Virtual Workplaces
Indeed, remote work is imposing its own sets of challenges on HR professionals and recruiting and Onboarding are some of the manifestations of such challenges.
Imagine being recruited online and then inducted into the firm virtually. Neither would one get the chance to familiarize themselves with other co-workers nor an opportunity to feel the comfort level with the organization, its workplace culture, and other aspects.
Of course, there are apps such as Slack, which minimize the discomfort of team communications virtually.
In addition, Zoom meetings can be organized in such a way that they become warm and welcoming to the new recruits.
Moreover, in the United States, remote work had already caught on much before the pandemic struck and hence, corporates there are better prepared with the challenges of recruiting and Onboarding remote workers.
As far as Indian corporates are concerned, there is some catching up to do (literally and figuratively) as far as hiring, training, and retaining remote workers are concerned.
Indeed, training is another aspect that is challenging as much corporate training involves group activities and physical collaboration between the attendees.
Therefore, this is another challenge for HR professionals as they navigate the Post Pandemic New Normal World.
The Present Moment Must be Seen as the Transition to the Long Awaited Digital Age
Having said that, one way of looking at these challenges is to reassure oneself that the long awaited Digital Age is upon us.
Indeed, going by the present trends, it is clear that the Pandemic has accelerated the Onset of the Digital Age and hence, it is better for all stakeholders to prepare and adjust to this new paradigm accordingly.
For instance, recruitment and Onboarding of employees needs a New Rules of Conduct that is relevant for the Digital Age.
Therefore, it is better for the HR function in all corporates to update the guidelines and the procedures for Onboarding and rollout the New Rules.
For instance, there are many activities within the Onboarding process that do not require physical contact.
Most forms and other Data Collection processes can be done digitally as are the formalities such as Verifying Certificates that can be done using Digital Lockers.
In addition, most meetings with Managers and co-workers can be handled over Zoom. For those processes such as Provident Fund and Tax Computations, the government is already in the process of taking them online and hence, going forward, this should not be a challenge. Moreover, physical forms can always be couriered as well.
Why HR Personnel Need to Embrace Agile Methodologies and Smart Working
So, the picture that one is getting here is that Recruitment and Onboarding need not be that challenging provided some Agile and Smart adjustments to the New Normal are made.
Talking about Agile, it has become the norm for contemporary workplaces in the Post Pandemic world to embrace agile methodologies as Self Contained and Self Sufficient Modular Teams reduce the burden on the organizational structures and processes in the transition from physical to virtual.
Therefore, it is our argument that going forward, Agile HR teams and what more, even regular teams in organizations can have HR personnel as members so that Recruitment and Onboarding becomes specific to each team rather than on a company wide basis.
Indeed, the possibilities for transitioning to the Digital Paradigm are endless and all that it needs is imagination and creativity as well as a commitment to make Virtual Workplaces as productive as/ more productive than their physical counterparts.
In addition, HR personnel would need to embrace paperless offices so that physical contact is minimized and towards this end, it is better for them to learn some new skills such as working with advanced tools and apps that can help them transition to virtual workplaces.
Responsibilities of New Recruits
Last, the new recruits too must adjust to the remote modes of working.
Typically, Onboarding entails intensive training for a few weeks before they are allotted teams and hence, they must not bunk such trainings, though they are virtual.
In addition, it is incumbent upon them to familiarize themselves as much as possible with the new employers and towards this end, they need to be proactive by taking the lead to get to know their co-workers, or for that matter, colleagues out of the specific teams they are assigned to so that they have a wider circle of organizational contacts.
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By “Prachi Juneja” and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazon’s AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Here’s Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!