Essential Soft Skills at Workplace
Soft skills refer to a combination of some basic qualities which go a long way in differentiating human beings from animals. An individual is expected to behave in a mature way at the workplace, adhere to rules and regulations and also maintain the decorum. A casual approach is not always accepted at workplace and one needs to respect his counterparts irrespective of their level in the hierarchy.
Let us go through few soft skills which are most essential at workplace:
Effective communication skills is one of the most important and essential soft skills required at workplace. An individual is said to be an effective communicator only when the other person is able to understand his/her speech and also draw a conclusion from the same. Remember, whatever you say should make sense. Never talk irrelevant at work. Using abusive language at workplace only reflects your family background and upbringing. Never do that. Sometimes, a single statement made out of anger may ruin your entire career.
Master the art of writing emails. Only verbal communication does not help always. One needs to communicate through emails as well for future reference. Not many people know the correct way of writing emails. Remember, the seriousness of an email is judged by its subject line. It is a crime to send an official email without a subject line.
Soft skills also expect an individual to carry himself/herself gracefully at workplace. Never wear something which would make you look shabby at workplace. There are organizations which allow employees to wear casuals but make sure you know where to draw the line. Do not wear round neck t-shirts to work and females should avoid wearing revealing clothes. Too much of chunky jewellery is also a strict no no at workplace.
There is no such policy or guideline which can teach you how to conduct yourself at workplace. Such things need to come from within. No one will tell you to work seriously without loitering around or getting involved in nasty politics. One needs to be sensible enough to differentiate between good and bad. Do not expect your Boss to tell you to wear a perfume before you step out of your home. One needs to smell good at workplace. This is something which is very basic and a must in professionals.
Office property is meant to be used only at work. Your office laptop should only have official data and no personal folders.
Work in unison with your co workers. Learn to be a bit adjusting and do not take each and everything to heart. You do not have to be too personal at workplace. Know how to work in teams. As a team member, you just cant dictate your terms always. You need to be an efficient listener and take into consideration others suggestions and feedbacks as well before coming to something concrete.
Learn to respect others. Remember, each and every member irrespective of his role and designation deserves respect and recognition. Being soft spoken is an essential soft skill which can take you places in the professional world. Be nice to others if you aspire to see yourself in a respectable position in the years to come.
Never be too rigid. Do not always expect things to be your way. You may be a diligent worker who delivers results every time but that certainly does not give you the right to be rude with your fellow workers or superiors. It is mandatory for everyone to follow the office policies. Avoid saying lies at workplace. It is always better to be honest at the first place rather than speaking ten more lies to defend yourself.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Employee Development - An Overview
- Importance of Employee Development
- Employee Development Plan
- Individual Development Plan
- Creating Employee Development Plans
- Employee Development Plan Process
- Implementing Effective EDP
- Role of Communication in ED
- Motivation and Employee Development
- Role of HR in Employee Development
- Role of Managers in ED
- Methods of Employee Development
- Training & Development Activities
- Employee Multitasking - An Overview
- Organizations and Employee Multitasking
- Benefits of Employee Multitasking
- Shortcomings of Employee Multitasking
- Essential Soft Skills at Workplace
- Gestures and Body Language in Soft Skills
- Accent Training for Employees
- How to Work Productively During Office Hours and not Get Distracted by the Noise
- What is Emotional Intelligence ?
- Components of Emotional Intelligence
- What is Assertiveness ?
- Assertiveness Skills
- Assertiveness in Business Meetings and Presentations
- Role of Assertiveness in Persuasion
- Essential Persuasion Skills
- Importance of Persuasion in Marketing and Sales
- What is Creativity ?
- Elements of Creativity
- Creativity and Entrepreneurship
- EQ @ Work: Emotional Intelligence at Work
- Why Organizations Must Admit Systemic Mistakes and Failures and Stand Up for their Employees ?
- Is the Marshmallow Test, A Measure of Self Control, Relevant in This Age of Distraction?
- What is Mental Health Awareness Month And Why has it Become so Popular in the US?
- What Ails The Millennials/Gen Zers?