What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
The Recruitment Process is an important aspect of the overall job responsibilities for HR (Human Resources) Managers.
Given the fact that selecting the best candidate for the job and the right fit for the role determines the future trajectory of that candidates time in the organization as well as leads to gains for the organization, HR Managers have to put their heart and mind into the recruitment process. Indeed, recruiting the optimal person for the job is paramount at all levels of the hierarchy and especially so as we move up the organizational ladder.
This is the reason why experienced and seasoned HR Managers often have some specific strategies which they actualize when interviewing candidates for potential employment.
Good Interview Candidates and Flops on the Job
For instance, some candidates are what are known as Good Interview Candidates wherein they come across as very presentable and competent as well as confident and sincere during the face to face interviews, but once selected, they often fail to meet and match the expectations for the job.
Indeed, this is the reason why many HR Managers often recommend multiple rounds of interviews and that too by different line and rank managers so that any weaknesses of the candidate are visible at least to some of them so that they can take appropriate decisions regarding such candidates.
Good Interview Candidates are those who have very good or even superlative communicational abilities as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
Moreover, they do not have what is known as Stage Fright or Stage Fear or in other words, they do not get nervous when talking in front of a crowd or a panel of attendees.
On the other hand, such candidates might be poor on the technical skills needed for a job or can be lacking in domain knowledge needed for the role.
In such cases, the challenge before the HR Managers is to ensure that such candidates are deployed in sales and marketing or other such client interfacing roles so that their strengths and capabilities can be put to good use.
Indeed, being a presentable face in interviews should not automatically disqualify someone and at the same time, should not also lead to selection which at a later stage and with the benefit of hindsight proves to be a bad choice.
Thus, the challenge for the HR Managers here is to have extended discussions with such profiles so that neither the candidate nor the organization feels shortchanged down the line.
Marquee Educational Qualifications and Real Hard Workers
Talking about profiles of candidates, it is also the case that during the resume screening phase, some candidates have stellar record of academic and professional achievements in addition to having Marquee names of Academic Institutions where they attended college.
Indeed, during the early days of the Tech boom, it was quite common for corporates and especially in India to recruit candidates based on the colleges and the institutes that they attended with the implicit understanding that they are capable and competent.
However, such candidates are not always the best candidates for the job and instead, there might be several others without the tag of eminent colleges and institutions who are equally good or if not, better.
Indeed, in our experience in the corporate world, we have found that such candidates are often eager to prove themselves and hence, give more than Hundred Percent to their jobs. Thus, this is another lesson that experienced HR Managers learn either through experience or from their mentors.
Fake Resumes and the Problem of Exaggerated Accomplishments
Apart from this, there are candidates whose resumes need careful scrutiny and vetting since some of the details of accomplishments in such resumes might not be entirely true.
Indeed, this is something that has been agitating many corporates over the last decade or so which has made them deploy Tech enabled screening such as AI (Artificial Intelligence) powered software to weed out the so-called fake resumes.
Moreover, with experience, many HR Managers now often rely on extensive and discreet background checks on candidates to ascertain the genuineness or otherwise of their candidatures.
The Difference between Eligibility and Employability
The point to be noted here is that while many candidates are eligible for employment, it is not necessarily the case that they are employable.
In other words, graduating with a degree and acquiring tech, domain, interpersonal, and communication skills might qualify someone on paper whereas in reality, such candidates are simply unemployable.
What this means is that such candidates are Paper Tigers where their claims on their resumes and during interviews are that and not pointing to any real value addition.
This problem has become so acute in the developing world that many research studies have noted that nearly 90% of all graduates are unemployable and this means that corporates have to spend time and money on training them before deploying them on the job or the floor.
Where the HR Managers Experience Pays Off
Lastly, while the discussion so far has focused on the flipsides of recruitment, it is also the case that seasoned and experienced middle management personnel and HR managers often spot a candidate and his or her fit for the role pretty quickly during the recruitment process.
However, there can be differences between the interview panel members and between different panels in successive rounds about this.
This is where the singing off authority or the management personnel who takes the final decision ought to draw upon his or her experience in making the final decision.
To conclude, recruitment is like dating and while it is difficult to determine whether each is made for the other quickly, with experience and consultations with others, one can surely arrive at a decision.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!