What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
How Hiring Managers and Organizations Detect Fake Resumes and Spot Lies
The recruitment and selection process is an important aspect of any organizations overall Human Resources (HR) and for that matter, even org wide policies.
Indeed, considering the fact that recruitment and selection often determines whether the right person for the right job has been selected, there cannot be any slipups in selecting candidates from the applicant pool.
This is the reason why leading organizations take the recruitment and selection process very seriously. Coming to the ways in which organizations and HR managers recruit candidates and what they look out for, the very basic requirement is that the candidates must be what they claim to be or in other words, their academic, work experience, and technical capabilities that they report on their CVs (Curriculum Vitae) and Resumes must be real and accurate.
Indeed, surveys indicate that many HR manages are simply exasperated by the sheer number of resumes that portray inaccurate or downright false and misleading information as far as these three aspects are concerned.
This is the reason why many organizations in the United States and other developed countries often rely on extensive background checks as a means of verifying the truthiness of the applicants. In recent years, many corporates in the developing world are also relying on these checks since the problem of fake resumes have acquired problematic dimensions.
The Growing Popularity of Tiered and Phased Recruitment and Selection Strategies
Having said that, it is not like Hiring Managers have to rely on background checks alone to determine whether a candidate is lying.
Instead, many organizations now have a Tiered or Phased Recruitment and Selection Process that consists of several rounds of written tests, aptitude tests, personality tests, and face to face interviews with multiple managers, in addition to case study format interviews and presentations that sometimes last an entire day.
The objective of these tiered processes is to ensure that candidates have the necessary academic heft, work experience that is relevant to the organization, and more importantly, posses the needed technical capabilities that the role demands.
Apart from this, Hiring Managers also look out for communication skills that are needed by many organizations, especially in Client Facing roles that demand a high degree of intercultural as well as interpersonal communication abilities.
Moreover, Hiring Managers also look for candidates who are certified in specific and niche technical and managerial skills.
For instance, there are many certifications that are provided by industry training and accreditation firms in core software, computing, and other technical skills.
As for managerial skills, the world leading PMI or Project Management Institute provides the PMP or the Project Management Program certification for those who have passed the necessary rounds that are mandatory for this certification.
The Cues and the Signs that Hiring Managers Spot
Returning to the problem of fake and misleading resumes, even without background checks, experienced Hiring Managers know for sure when a particular candidate is lying since they would have come across many such candidates during the course of their careers.
Indeed, in our experience, it doesnt take long for an experienced Middle Management professional to discern whether a candidate is what he or she claims is.
In addition, Hiring Managers place a lot of emphasis on the Body Language and the Posture of the interviewees especially during the HR rounds and the final lap of the selection process. This is more to ascertain the nonverbal cues that the candidate is displaying which provides hints into the overall personality of the candidates.
Thus, feeling nervous and on the other hand, being too aggressive is a sure fire way of being rejected.
Moreover, the sitting posture and the body movements and most importantly, whether the candidate is making eye contact are other cues that the Hiring Managers look out for. Indeed, among all the personal attributes that Hiring Managers look out for, making and sustaining Eye Contact rank among the topmost priorities or the aspects that make or mar the chances of an applicant.
How Hiring Managers Discern who are Good Interview Candidates
Having said that, experienced Hiring Managers also know that some candidates are what are known as Good Interview Candidates who have mastered the Art of Acing interviews by dint of their pleasing and outgoing personalities.
Indeed, the more senior the Hiring Manager is, the greater are the chances that he or she can spot who is a good interview candidate alone and who is the right fit for the role. However, in recent years, the recruitment and the selection process in many organizations and especially at senior and middle levels has become more demanding and tough mainly due to the stakes involved in hiring for those levels.
In other words, organizations are realizing that slipups in hiring middle and senior managers can be very costly for them and this is the reason that leading organizations often do not advertize for those positions and instead, hire specialized recruitment agencies.
How Executive Hiring Happens
This extends to the Executive hiring as well wherein leading organizations such as Infosys have hired Executive Search firms that are global leaders in their niche when they were scouting around for a new CEO or Chief Executive Officer.
Indeed, dedicated hiring at these levels is an industry niche by itself since this is a once in a while hiring event for the corporates.
To conclude, as mentioned earlier, recruitment and hiring has become very important for all stakeholders and in our experience, acing the process needs a holistic approach from the candidates and similarly, the hiring firms too need to have an integrated approach.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!