How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
What do the Terms Star Performers and Fast Trackers Mean?
In every organization, some employees are designated as Star Performers and Fast Trackers by the Managerial and the Human Resources Professionals. The term Fast Trackers refers to the internal classification of some employees who are expected to move faster up the hierarchy than other employees based on their performance and abilities as well as the specialized leadership traits they exhibit.
In addition, some employees might be designated as Star Performers based on their appraisals and technical acumen and the categorization of employees as either Star Performers or Fast Trackers or both is based on a Matrix of factors such as the ones listed above.
Managing the Star Performers and the Fast Trackers
Thus, the Human Resource Managers often advise the managers of such brilliant employees on ways and means to ensure that such performers are nurtured and encouraged to scale new heights and are also kept in good humor by way of bonuses and other perks so that they do not leave the organization.
Indeed, in some Multinationals, it is common for the high performers to be given paid vacations as well as access to premium clubs and other benefits such as funding their childrens education and otherwise, ensuring that such performers feel wanted and hence, continue to perform better and sustain their performance.
HR Managers must be Cautious in their Approach to Star Performers and Fast Trackers
Having said that, it is also the case that HR professionals must tread carefully when advising the managers on how to manage the star performers since too much adulation can get to their heads and thus, they can become complacent or worse, arrogant and take the organization for granted.
Indeed, the history of modern corporates is littered with examples of Prima Donnas and Star Performers who have gone on to flout ethical and normative rules resulting in such corporates being hauled up by the regulators and consequently, leading to loss of brand image and monetary loss as well.
Apart from this, too much focus on Start Performers can lead to other employees being disgruntled or de-motivated, and this can lead to attrition as well as a general dip in the morale of the workforce.
Moreover, Mollycoddling the Star Performers can lead to dissatisfaction among the other Star Performers due to competition for limited places at the top.
In other words, not only can those performers who are doing well though not superlative being demoralized, it can also lead to unhealthy competition among the Fast Trackers for promotions and a shot at the top job and this can result in boardroom battles as well as jostling for senior management and executive positions.
Manage High Performers by Targeting their Specific Technical and Personal Competencies
Thus, it is clear that the HR managers must take all these aspects into account when dealing with the Star Performers. To ensure optimal utilization of all resources and to ensure that Star Performers continue to sustain their performance, it becomes necessary for HR Managers to first identify the specific leadership traits and for the managers to identify the specific technical and personal competence.
Once, the evaluation is done, it becomes easier for the organizations to decide on appropriate roles and assign key responsibilities accordingly.
For instance, HR Theory states that we have a composite need matrix comprising a Need for Achievement, Need to be a Peoples Person, and a Need for Power and hence, the HR managers must first identify which of these needs as well as the combination of needs do the Star Performers have and then manage them accordingly.
If a particular Fast Tracker has a Need for Achievement, then he or she must be placed in roles that provide them with an opportunity to showcase their technical brilliance and shine in such roles.
Likewise, if such employees have a Need for being a Peoples Person, then he or she is better suited for People Management and Leadership roles that require such skills. On the other hand, a great need for Power can mean that such employees must be handled with care lest they become power hungry and destabilize the organization.
Reward and Incentive Structure Based on Personality Traits
Apart from this, the HR Managers must also focus on the Reward and Incentive Structure that would encourage the Star Performers and Nurture the Fast Trackers. Some of such Uber Achievers are motivated intrinsically meaning that they derive motivation from their internal need for technical and managerial excellence.
On the other hand, some of such high performers derive their motivation and drive from the external environment where money and the need for approval from others are paramount and key to their success.
It follows from this that the former group of employees must be given challenging tasks that test their mettle and reward them accordingly whereas the latter group of employees must be given roles where they manage other people and are driven by the overall sense of satisfaction they get from seeing their fellow employees or those who report to them succeed.
Both categories of employees must be rewarded monetarily, and the key difference or distinction here is to do with the kinds of roles and the type of work they are assigned.
Lastly, it goes without saying that any Star Performer or Fast Tracker has to contend with the Bell Curve method of performance evaluation as well as the very real limit on how high they can go up the hierarchy since the Pyramidal nature of organizations means that only a few can get to the top, and only one can make to the CEO or Chief Executive Officer position.
To conclude, the way in which the Management and the HR Professionals manage the Star Performers and Fast Trackers would determine the overall levels of organizational success.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!