Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
Why Work from Home is the Future and How we Should Get Used to It
In a world gone digital due to the Covid 19 outbreak, corporates are now increasingly asking their employees to work from home as a means of following physical and social distancing.
With the uncertainties surrounding a return to normalcy, or for that matter, a new normal where such arrangements are permanent, appropriate strategies have to be put in place to ensure that organisational productivity does not suffer and that organisational goals are met.
At first glance, remote working and virtual workplaces seem cool and trendy.
However, there are real challenges for managers and others supervising their teams to ensure that the workflow continues in a seamless manner and to avoid disconnect (literally and figuratively) as far as the links that bind workforces are concerned.
Indeed, right from procuring laptop and desktops as well as providing high speed broadband connectivity at the homes of the employees, to the overarching issue of maintaining data integrity and security of the confidential work done for clients, and including inspiring employees to perform as they would do in physical offices, challenges galore for HR (Human Resource) and Line Managers necessitating an entirely new work paradigm.
Why Some Firms Have Made the Transition to WFH Seamlessly Whereas Others Are Not
Of course, going by the present trends, WFH or Work from Home Arrangements seem to be going well for some corporates such as the Indian IT (Information Technology) majors, Infosys and TCS or Tata Consultancy Services.
Indeed, both these firms report that they intend to follow WFH models even after the lockdown is lifted and also state that they are working at the same pace as they would have done so before the lockdown.
On the other hand, there is no dearth of firms that are reporting problems in making the transition from physical to virtual with many BPOs (Business Process Outsourcing) firms and Mid Size IT firms complaining about the myriad challenges that they face.
For instance, cost is a key challenge as transitioning to WFH models entails provision of devices, routers, and broadband connections.
While the biggies have deep pockets and can spend liberally, smaller firms are not that lucky and hence, they are calling upon the governments to subsidise them in this regard.
Moreover, many financial services firms deal with extremely sensitive client data that can only be handled within Firewalls and hence, they complain about how clients are hesitating from giving them permissions for WFH arrangements.
What the Human Element of WFH Looks like and Challenges Due to Virtual Workforces
Moreover, it is not only the physical assets, but, also the other aspects such as motivating employees to perform at optimal levels that pose significant challenges.
Indeed, fresh joiners and entry level staff have to be supervised for a few years before they become self sufficient and autonomous to do their work and this poses a challenge for line managers as well as the HR managers.
Moreover, multitasking is never good for productivity and when WFH, employees have to be necessarily juggle a great many tasks even when one excludes personal tasks.
When one considers how employees with children and dependant parents have to achieve Work Life Balance, it becomes a headache for both the employees as well as the organisations. In addition, team meetings conducted virtually might not have the same gravitas as face to face interactions and this can become a significant challenge as well.
On top of it, in countries in the developing world, there can be additional challenges in terms of breakdown of power and disruption of internet services that can add to the problems arising from WFH.
An often neglected aspect of WFH is that it liberates employees and enslaves them in never ending tasks.
Digging in For the Long Haul with a New Work Paradigm and New Policies and Laws
Therefore, what is needed is a new work paradigm for organisations as they navigate the challenges of an uncertain future.
This is where business leaders have to step in and provide Pep Talks and Inspiring Speeches as well as Comforting Words for the employees who are WFH.
Moreover, they must also draw up an action plan that would be longer term dealing with the challenges of the New Realities and also budgeting (both financially as well as strategically) for a future that would be both radical and uncertain at the same time.
In other words, it is important that corporates dig in for the Long Haul given the prevailing uncertainties.
As mentioned earlier, this requires the active cooperation of the governments at the various levels and a good starting point can be a summit (virtual, of course) where all stakeholders can come together and decide on a common strategy.
Moreover, there needs to be more coordination at the global level as well that can include a set of protocols regarding WFH and Virtual Workforces implementing New Policies and who knows, maybe, New Laws as well.
This is the need of the hour for BAU or Business As Usual to prevail.
Last, there is also a need for the human touch and the healing touch as well as a humanitarian approach from all stakeholders.
This is especially the case for Middle Managers who have to adjust and move away from brash and tough team management methods to a softer and understanding leadership.
Indeed, if we have to cross this together, we might as well ensure that we have each otherís backs and those we are all on the same rope that is holding us together.
To conclude, WFH might become the New Normal and we better get used to it.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!