Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
Welcome to the Age of Acceleration
We live in times when speed is of the essence, and the ability to be ultra fast (in any sphere of life and business as well as work and society) is the defining characteristic of success.
Indeed, the times have speeded up so much that responses to events are no longer timed on the basis of days and weeks, but, on the basis of hours and minutes and even seconds.
For instance, the ever present and ever powerful chatter of Twitter Feeds and Facebook Posts means that professionals and laypersons alike are expected to respond to evolving and changing events and trends almost instantaneously without pausing to check the consequences or the repercussions from both the events as they happen in real time and their responses which are equally fast.
Impact of Quickness on the HR Function
This means that no business function or organization is exempt from the constant pinging and constant chatter that distracts as well as necessitates responses.
Thus, the HRM or the Human Resource Management Function is equally caught up in the acceleration of business and life. This means that HR professionals are under stress to deliver results the outcomes of which are instantaneous as opposed to being spread out over months and years.
Take, for instance, hiring, and recruitment. While the advent of the IT or the Information Technology Sector and the Financial Services sector compressed the hiring cycles to quarters and months, the present age of acceleration has further compressed it to days and weeks.
Indeed, even during the IT boom, HR managers were expected to fill positions within a quarter or a month and even this was considered too hectic by many old timers among the HR professionals hitherto used to hiring cycles that were more elaborate.
This resulted in the dilution of the quality of the talent that was being hired by many IT and Services sector firms as there was simply not enough time to perform due diligence on all aspects of the candidates being hired including and not limited to their technical and communication abilities but also their backgrounds and other vital checks.
Acceleration Then and Now
While many organizations learned to live with such shortcomings during the 1990s and the 2000s, the situation now has changed both qualitatively and quantitatively wherein talent is expected to be hired and on-boarded in weeks.
Indeed, the other aspect here is that due to the constrained economic situation, many organizations are paring down their bench strengths so that they do not incur overheads and at the same time, make optimal use of the existing resources.
This has led to a double whammy where positions and vacancies arise quickly, and the HR professionals are expected to fill them even more quickly while being unable to tap the bench leading to a situation where everyone is under pressure to act and deliver results.
Further, with the rise of temping and short duration positions, HR professionals are expected to give their assent to recruits and talent as soon as possible since the talent being hired is either on a temporary basis or on contractual and vendor based positions that do not require extensive vetting.
When Everything Happens Now and As Of Yesterday
Having said that, this is also a situation where the HR managers cannot simply take anyone who comes along as that might jeopardize the interests of the organizations.
Thus, the contemporary HR professional is caught in a bind wherein the pressure to fill positions quickly is doubled by the need to do a thorough if not basic vetting.
In addition, the performance appraisal and evaluation cycles have also shortened leading to more stress on the HR professionals as they have to cope with the increased workload and the stress and strain.
Indeed, when everything happens Now and when the HR professionals are expected to deliver results As of Yesterday, no wonder the burnout rate among this class of professionalsí ranks with that of the Investment Bankers and Doctors.
Moreover, with feedback related to job performance and other attributes being sought as soon as the task or the quarterly review is completed, the entire organizational ecosystem has to be geared towards operating on a continuous and round the clock basis.
The Promise and the Perils of the Current Age for the HR Profession
Having said that, this does not mean that one should not take up HR as a profession anymore. On the contrary, HR professionals now have more autonomy and options before them when compares to the earlier decades.
For instance, the Age of Acceleration has meant that HR professionals now have more control over their functions and jobs as organizational resources are divided in such a way that line managers and rank and file employees focus on their core competencies leading to the HR function being left to the pure play HR professionals instead of excessive interference.
Moreover, the HR professionals have more options related to hiring and firing as the former are aided by a Phalanx of tools that give them more choices and channels for hiring and the latter are made easier by the liberalization of labor laws and regulations that give organizations greater power over downsizing and layoffs.
On the other hand, this has also led to some situations wherein excessive too quick firing has been challenged in the courts and at the same time, hiring with more autonomy has not necessarily led to better quality of talent.
To conclude, there are opportunities and challenges for the contemporary HR professionals, and hence, the success or failure of these professionals depends to a large degree on how they have mastered the art of quickness and have developed the ability to maintain a Zen like calmness in the face of constant distraction.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!