Importance of Active Listening and Asking Clarifications in a Group Discussion
Communication has it two ways – one is verbal, and the other one is written or non-verbal. The way communication is important in any discussion, listening is also crucial part and cannot at all be ignored.
For any business, it is very important to listen to your customer first to understand them further. Hence every organization seeks for people who are not only good at communicating but also at listening attentively to their customers.
You might be thinking what is new in this? We always hear our customers and accordingly act. But here, it needs to be clarified that there is a fine line separation between hearing and listening.
Hearing sometimes may not involve understanding, but if you are listening to someone, it mostly should understand the other person as well. Listening helps to not directly hopping into any conclusion. It avoids assumption. Listening can be helpful in learning something new.
How Listening Helps in Group Discussion
- Gain Clarity: Active listening helps you gaining good understanding and clarity of the topic. And this further helps you speaking about it in great detail. During a Group discussion, when the hiring panel listens to the participants intently, they will be able to judge the required skills in candidates. They will be able to determine whether they are worth hiring for the company or not.
- Keeps You Alert: During my previous job, I got an opportunity to attend a workshop on soft skills. One entire day was scheduled around the topic ‘listening skills.’ The trainer said a thing which I still remember. She said, we always listen to the other person and meanwhile start preparing about our answers in mind – we keep thinking what we need to answer the very next moment. Good listening skills in a group discussion can help you notice faults and wrong facts in what others express.
- Comprehend: Listening to others will assist you in grasping what the other team member is speaking even if the subject is not very well known. What other participants are saying will only be clear to you if you listen to them and their point very carefully.
- Equal Reaction: As they say, every action has its reaction. If you are willing to listen to others, they will also be inclined to listen to you in return. If your statements have logic, people will listen to you.
In a group discussion, there will be many people who would speak and would want to put their point forward. Listening to them does not mean that you would not take a step and initiate your own conversation. Listening here mean understanding their views fully and then put your point in a clear manner.
Asking Clarifications in a Group Discussion
Remember the time, when we used to be students and resisted to ask for clarifications from teachers in the classroom? That does not work in today’s context.
In today’s time, if there is any ‘why’ in your mind, you should ask. During the Group Discussion, you should, of course, ask for clarification if you have a doubt. Why should you ask for clarification?
- It Certifies Your Participation: when you are a member of the group discussion, this needs to be shown. You cannot be a passive/inactive participant sitting just in the corner. This will have a negative impact. So, while discussion, if you have any doubt or need more elaboration on a particular point, you should ask for an explanation.
- Illuminates a Topic: It sometimes happens that the question hovers over everyone’s mind, but nobody is taking the initiative to come forward and ask for explanation or clarification. If you ask for clarification on particular points, it not only becomes apparent to you but for others in the group also, it becomes lucid.
- Improves Your Ability to be Attentive: You can only ask valid questions if you are listening to the discussion properly. If you are not putting your head and heart to a discussion, you may miss out on some important points and also miss the chance to ask for clarification. So, it is better that you remain attentive in the entire discussion and do not deviate from the core topic
- Increase Confidence: When you listen to what others have to say, it is likely that you may not understand some topic. If you gather enough courage to ask for clarification, it will not only throw some light on the topic, but also will increase your confidence to speak. It improves your self-assurance and buoyancy.
- Provide Different Response: Follow-up questions or asking for clarifications during a group discussion provides a chance to simplify, refine and know diverse ideas from various people. Some people might have some fresh and new perspectives which you may have overlooked. While asking for clarification on certain point can bring up many good thoughts and ideas which can be helpful.
- Correct Understanding: Asking for clarification during a group discussion ensured that you have a correct understanding of the chosen topic or point which you are asking for further elaboration. It helps the entire group discussion to move in a right direction and ultimately reach a concrete conclusion.
Points to Take Care
- During the group discussion, it is okay to ask for clarification if you do not understand anything. But repeatedly doing so will show your unawareness about the chosen topic and might not be looked favorably. So, do not ask for clarification just at the beginning, rather wait for few minutes to get a clarification from other members without asking so.
- Besides this, you should also let others speak and not interrupt their conversation frequently as it might go against you. If you strongly feel for some issue, voice your opinion. But remember to keep control over your emotions and remain calm headed and logical throughout the discussion.
- There is a very thin line between being aggressive and being assertive. Other group members may not accept aggression but being assertive shows your well-framed knowledge about the topic and your self-confidence, determination and positive mindset.
- Strategies for Professionals
- How to Develop a Long Term Perspective
- Summer Internships in Business Schools
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By “Prachi Juneja” and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Organizational Career Development
- Importance of Career Development
- Designing Career Development Systems
- Benefits of Career Development System
- Components of Career Development
- Objectives of Career Development
- Career Development Issues in Teams
- Mentoring and Career Development
- Career Management
- Career Program Effectiveness
- Implications of Workplace Changes
- Organizational Assessment Programs
- Benefits of Formal Succession Planning
- Career Programs for Special Groups
- Hiring Couples & Relocation Assistance
- Career Personality Tests
- Career Ladders and Career Paths
- Employment Counselling
- Invest in Yourself Continuously
- Role of Organization in Self Improvement
- Role of Mentors in Career Development
- Some Tips for Fresh Graduates
- Tips for Graduates Entering Corporates
- What do Recruiters look for ?
- Tips for New Employees
- Changing Jobs Mid-Career
- Executive Management Programs
- Niche Management Programs
- Business Schools in the West & East
- Reinvent Yourself During Your Career
- Tips to Prepare for the Future
- Preparing Employees for the Future
- The Importance of Networking
- Industry Academia Collaborations
- Choosing the Right Business School
- Choosing Electives & Optional Courses
- Strategies for Professionals
- How to Develop a Long Term Perspective
- Summer Internships in Business Schools
- Rising Cost of Student Education
- Lowering the Education Costs in America
- Top MBA Colleges in India
- Role of Personal Development in Career Growth
- Steps in Personal Development Planning Process
- Executive Management Programs and Part Time Management Programs
- For those Nearing their Forties: How to Plan for your Second Half of Career and Life ?
- Lateral Placements and Some Strategies for those with Work Experience in Business Schools
- Why Professionals and Students Must Invest in Specialized Skills
- Skills are a Key Ingredient of Success in Contemporary Organizations
- How to Deal with Envy at Workplace ?
- Career Choices for the Present Times
- Impact of the Slowdown on those beginning their careers
- Skilling the Workforce to Make them Employable and Contribute to Economic Growth
- What is Linkedin and Why Having a Linked in Profile is Important
- How to Use the Summary Section in LinkedIn
- How to Manage Skills and Endorsements on Linkedin
- Gathering Recommendations and Getting Endorsed
- Joining Groups on Linkedin
- How to Project Yourself as a Brand by Using Strong Keywords and Updating the Profile Periodically
- Do’s and Don’ts of LinkedIn
- What is Group Discussion and How is it Different from a Debate
- Objectives of Conducting a Group Discussion
- Importance of Active Listening and Asking Clarifications in a Group Discussion
- Non Verbal Cues and its Importance in Group Discussion
- Phases in a Group Discussion: Introduction, Central Group Discussion and Summarization
- Role of Participants in a Group Discussion
- How Open Minded are You in a Group Discussion
- Student Loans and the Rising Cost of Useless Degrees
- Problem of Unsustainable Student Debt and How to Manage it ?
- Some Things to Consider When Choosing Off-Beat or Non-Mainstream Careers
- The Dilemma Facing Students and Professionals: Generalization or Specialization ?
- Tips for Professionals on Making Smart Career Moves during your Working Life
- Tips and Suggestions for Those Wishing to Enter Creative Professions
- Why Aspiring and Working Professionals Must Learn to Balance Ambition with Realism
- Career Advice for Those Over 40: Averting a Midlife Crisis and Finding Meaning in Work
- Current Employment Trends and Their Implications for Business, Society, and Individuals
- Some Investment Lessons and Advice for Professionals in the Age of the Gig Economy
- Designing and Implementing an Effective Work from Home Policy
- How Self Learning can help you be Ahead of the Curve in a Fast Changing World
- Why Reskilling Might be the Solution to Avoiding Job Losses from Automation and Robots
- The Need for Professionals and Experts to be Independent in Highly Polarized Times
- Income Sharing Agreement: An Answer to Student Debt?
- Transitioning From College to the Corporate World: Challenges and Approaches
- Should Corporates Make Work from Home Arrangements Permanent or Temporary?
- How the Covid Pandemic has altered the Notions of Work, Education, and Employment
- HRM Strategies for the Post Covid Era and the New Normal of Virtual Workplaces
- What is Career Path Mapping and Why Organizations Gain from Mapping Career Paths
- Does Academic Excellence Guarantee Professional Success or It Just Gives a Head Start?
- Why the Future of Learning is Virtual and How to Prepare for Online Education Models
- The Myth of the 8 Hour Workday! Why we need a New Approach to Productivity
- Return to Office Mandates in America