Importance of Persuasion in Marketing and Sales
Persuasion skills are extremely important for sales and marketing professionals as they are paid not only to interact with potential customers but also motivate them to invest in organizations products and services. Overall performance of marketing and sales professionals is measured by the number of clients they could tap for their company. Marketing is the most envied position because of the huge incentives they earn once the deals are closed but do we ever realize how much efforts actually go in convincing people and also influencing their behaviour and thought process?
Convincing clients is no cake-walk as it seems and one needs to be really good at it. Remember, marketing is just not forcing and creating unnecessary pressure but changing the beliefs and mindsets of people. If your best friend has a phone of Brand - A, you automatically would tend to have an inclination towards the same brand without even realizing that there are other brands available in the market which has better features. Now if you come across an individual with such a perception, how would you sell your Brand which is different from the brand, his friend is using? Being too pushy would not help. In such a scenario, it is your ability to persuade others which would not only earn you a new client but also appreciation from your superiors and co-workers.
Persuasion skills help a marketing and sales professional to actually win over the hearts of clients who not only become their loyal customers but also bring in more clients along with them. In the above example, simply highlight what all benefits and extra features your brand is offering and let the customer decide himself/herself. Give ample time to the customer for his research and homework. Let him verify and also take the opinion of others. He /she certainly is going to do that, after all it is the question of ones hard earned money. Do not claim anything which you would not be able to justify later on. If you are genuine and honest, your client will definitely come back to you. Persuasion skills are extremely important as it helps marketing professionals to change preconceived notions of their potential clients and make them believe in them.
The first and foremost tip to convince a potential client is to look confident and also have adequate information of the product. Never badmouth your competitors. Such tactics no longer work in todays scenario. Things are much easier when competition is healthy than stooping too low for numbers. Dress in a way which impresses others instantly. Wear something in which you feel comfortable rather than blindly copying others. You would never be able to persuade a client if you are not presentable and appealing. Remember, something which looks good on others may not look good on you.
Another effective way of persuading clients is to understand their needs and expectations from a particular product and also address their queries. For example, you need to understand as to why your customer needs a certain product? In case of laptops, is it just to check his emails or to download softwares and applications? If his requirement is just to keep in touch with his friends through emails, why would he invest in a high end model? No amount of persuasion would help in such a case. Never try to fool customers.
Do not sell products which you yourself are not convinced of. Many a times, marketing professionals do not realize the importance of practicing what they preach. Why would a client believe you if you try to sell him a Parker pen while you yourself are using a Sheaffer pen?
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Employee Development - An Overview
- Importance of Employee Development
- Employee Development Plan
- Individual Development Plan
- Creating Employee Development Plans
- Employee Development Plan Process
- Implementing Effective EDP
- Role of Communication in ED
- Motivation and Employee Development
- Role of HR in Employee Development
- Role of Managers in ED
- Methods of Employee Development
- Training & Development Activities
- Employee Multitasking - An Overview
- Organizations and Employee Multitasking
- Benefits of Employee Multitasking
- Shortcomings of Employee Multitasking
- Essential Soft Skills at Workplace
- Gestures and Body Language in Soft Skills
- Accent Training for Employees
- How to Work Productively During Office Hours and not Get Distracted by the Noise
- What is Emotional Intelligence ?
- Components of Emotional Intelligence
- What is Assertiveness ?
- Assertiveness Skills
- Assertiveness in Business Meetings and Presentations
- Role of Assertiveness in Persuasion
- Essential Persuasion Skills
- Importance of Persuasion in Marketing and Sales
- What is Creativity ?
- Elements of Creativity
- Creativity and Entrepreneurship
- EQ @ Work: Emotional Intelligence at Work
- Why Organizations Must Admit Systemic Mistakes and Failures and Stand Up for their Employees ?
- Is the Marshmallow Test, A Measure of Self Control, Relevant in This Age of Distraction?
- What is Mental Health Awareness Month And Why has it Become so Popular in the US?
- What Ails The Millennials/Gen Zers?