What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
What is the Great Resignation and why are Tech Titans like Nadella and Pitchai Worried?
Ever since late last year, there has been an increasing trend of employees across the corporate world quitting their jobs in record numbers.
Surveys by leading consultancies such as PWC (Price Waterhouse Coopers) as well as the well respected Microsoft Work Trends Report show that almost every corporates is grappling with the problem of mass attrition.
In addition, anecdotal evidence and hearsay put this problem of what has been called The Great Resignation as being apparent since the time the Pandemic started.
Indeed, estimates show that nearly half the workforce across industries and verticals as well as in corporates are thinking of quitting their jobs and getting into other occupations.
This problem has become so pervasive that even Tech Titans such as Satya Nadella of Microsoft and Sundar Pitchai of Google are consulting other industry stakeholders to find out why and how this problem should be addressed before it becomes such a force that it debilitates and who knows, might even destroy the corporates in due course.
What are the Factors that are driving the Great Resignation and is it a Passing Fad?
So, what is driving such mass attrition and what are the triggers behind this? To start with, the Pandemic has made everyone reassess and re-evaluate what they want from their careers and lives.
Moreover, the WFH or Work from Home and Remote as well as Anywhere Working models made employees used to actualizing work life balance both in a positive and negative manner.
While WFH was relaxing for some, for others it was traumatic and in both cases, employees have begun to question whether Onsite work is worth it and for those who found Virtual Work hard, made them to wonder whether their careers were worth the time and effort they were putting in.
Indeed, the main driver of the Great Resignation seems to be the Pandemic triggered isolation and mental fatigue that are making professionals re-evaluate their lives.
On the other hand, the boom in the jobs market over the last year or so meant that more and more corporates are vying for the same or lesser number of professionals making the latter feel as though they can command a premium in the market.
In addition, Freelancing and Part Time work as well as Gig work have become lucrative apart from offering the professionals the convenience and flexibility to work on their own terms leading to more attrition.
Why We Think the Great Resignation is Temporary and How Many HR Experts Agree
So, what can be done to address this problem? For one, there are many business leaders as well as HR or Human Resource consultants and experts who are nonchalant with the Great Resignation as they believe that this is a passing trend or a fad that would dissipate soon with the end of the pandemic.
Their reasoning is that as the jobs market tightens and the predicted recession in 2022 manifests, jobseekers would again be thronging the market in large numbers as the cold logic of the need to earn a living brings the quitters back to reality.
On the other hand, there are also many corporates (especially Big Tech firms) that are going all out to woo their workforces by introducing permanent WFH and Hybrid (combination of onsite and remote work) so as to placate those who want these arrangements.
In addition, there are firms that are offering to match the offers made by their rivals in a bid to retain talent.
Moreover, there are many corporates that are also throwing in perks such as vacations and club memberships to ensure that their workforce is motivated to remain with them and is engaged to be productive in their work.
What are HR Experts Recommending Addressing the Problem and are They Right?
Having said that, there are HR professionals who are focusing on the need to motivate their employees through intrinsic models. While the last section dealt with the Rewards, we now discuss how challenging work and recognition and awards can go a long way in motivating the employees.
Moreover, with the New and Recent Joiners belonging to the Millennial and Gen Z age cohorts quitting, HR experts say that not only motivation, but also some amount of psychological counselling is needed as well.
In addition, HR managers in Big Tech firms are hosting events where the hallowed and revered business leaders interact with the employees to make them feel at home.
The point to note here is that these are trying times for everyone and hence, HR managers have a major role to play to ensure that the Great Resignation Spree is addressed properly.
Most importantly, in the absence of Physical Onboarding and Face to Face Interaction, the younger generation of the workforce need to be chaperoned through the acclimatization and getting to know each other processes.
This also means that handholding and guiding them through the paces are aspects that the HR teams must do with skill, empathy, and patience.
Last, as we move to the New Normal, trends such as the Great Resignation would persist.
When all of us are living in times where Viral Social Media posts influence us, this trend too is a manifestation of how our technology driven world is making us all susceptible to acting without thinking.
Therefore, visionary and respected business leaders should be like founts of wisdom and along with the HR teams, draw up strategies that would address this problem.
To conclude, the Great Resignation might simply disappear, but its effects would be us for a long time and linger beyond corporates.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!