The Art of Strategic Marketing: Market Learning, Sensing, and Intuiting
The first step in strategic marketing is to learn from the market about the changing consumer preferences and attitudes. Firms typically employ market research agencies to conduct surveys and research reports about how consumers and their preferences goods and services over others are changing with the times.
In other words, firms attempt to understand the market by direct observation by surveying the consumers and finding out what they would buy. Apart from this, market learning also involves direct interaction with the consumers to try and understand why they prefer a certain brand to others.
The strategies that the firm adopts after the market learning process are based on the feedback that they have received from the ground. This kind of strategizing is quite popular with marketers and practitioners of strategic marketing as it helps them fine tune their strategies based on market preferences.
This approach deals with going a step ahead of market learning and combining data and experience to understand how the market moves.
In other words, after the data collection is done, marketers who are experienced or talented put the data and the strategic models of marketing together and try and sense how the market moves.
For those who follow the stock markets, the term mood of the market and market sentiment is terms that can be known as sensing how the market moves based on both data and the wisdom of accumulated experience.
We have discussed how firms try and understand consumer preferences by direct observation and by an indirect analytical method of sensing how the market would move. The third aspect in this sub-topic of strategic marketing takes the whole concept ever further by adopting what can be called as Market Intuiting.
In other words, this approach involves to know the mind and soul of the market and to predict the future based on both data and an intuitive understanding of how the market would move. Lest one thinks that this approach is like Astrology or other such forms of prediction, there have been the cases of marketers like the late legendary Steve Jobs who could feel it in his gut about how consumers would either flock to the brands or abandon it altogether.
The idea in this approach is to preempt the future by preparing for it and as the saying goes, chance favors the prepared mind. Hence, after studying the market through direct observation, sensing the mood of the market, this third approach is to get into the very essence of the consumer, which is to do with how he or she would behave in the future.
The key aspect here is that in the fast changing business landscape of the 21st century, it is not merely enough to measure data and proceed accordingly. On the other hand, the consumer behavior, which is in a flux, cannot be sensed by experience alone.
Hence, the combination of the strategies outlined here can be followed to beat the expectations of the consumers and by gaining insights into the mind of the consumer and getting inside their heads, marketers can hope to outclass the competition.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Marketing for the 21st Century
- Adapting Marketing to New Economy
- Building Customer Satisfaction
- Measuring Market Demand
- Scanning the Market Environment
- Consumers Buying Behaviour
- Business Buying Behaviour
- Marketing Startegy - Meaning and Its Importance
- Competition Strategy
- Positioning of Market Offerings
- Product Development Process
- Designing Global Market Offerings
- Product and Branding Strategy
- Country of Origin Effects on Marketing
- Designing and Managing Services
- Developing Price Strategies
- Distribution Channels - Meaning and Their Significance
- Value Networks and Marketing Channels
- Managing Retailing and Wholesaling
- Managing Marketing Communications
- Tools of Promotion
- Managing the Sales Force
- The Art of Strategic Marketing
- Introduction to Online Advertising Models
- Facebook as a Digital Marketing Tool
- Push and Pull Marketing Strategies
- Changing World of Marketing and Increased Demands on Marketers
- Marketing Model based on Customer Value Creation through Market Sensing and Learning
- Why Data is the New Holy Grail for Contemporary Marketers
- How Cutting Edge Technology has Transformed the Sales and Marketing Function
- Why Marketers Need to Focus on Creating Experiences to Thrive in the New Economy
- 4Ps of Marketing Explained for the Age of Market Fragmentation
- How to Build a Great Marketing Team for Your Business
- Why a Well Functioning Judicial and Legal System is Necessary for Market Economies
- What is Influencer Marketing and Why it is so Important for Marketers in the Digital Age
- Marketing Strategies for the Age of Consumer Fragmentation and the Age of Digital
- B2B Marketing Vs. B2C Marketing in the E-Commerce Industry
- How Marketers Manipulate Prices?
- Utilizing Affiliate Marketers in Your Business
- Running an Online Affiliate Program
- 5 Factors in Selecting an Affiliate Program
- How to Select a Vendor for Affiliate Marketing
- Selecting a Market Niche for Affiliate Marketing