The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
Hiring and Firing Workers and Professionals is an Integral Part of Free Market Economies
Hiring and firing of workers and professionals is an integral part of any firm and more so for private sector ones that have to undertake periodic downsizing and upsizing based on the market and macroeconomic conditions. Indeed, in any Free Market Capitalist economy, hiring and firing are as natural to the firms and the corporates as water is to a Duck.
Given that market economies are subject to periodic booms and busts, it is only in the order of things that firms need to hire when the economy is booming and downsize when market conditions get tough.
Having said that, it is not always the case that firing employees is a pleasurable and fun activity for both the organization and the employee concerned.
After all, firing is involuntary separation wherein in the same manner in which Divorces and Separations are hard on the individuals concerned, downsizing and firing of workers needs to be handled with care and caution lest there is lingering bitterness from all sides.
While a majority of workers who are laid off are done so when the economy is in a bust phase, there are also cases where employees have to be laid off due to other factors such as violating the contractual terms and conditions, disciplinary reasons, and poor performance.
Why HR Managers Must Handle the Firing Process with Care and Caution
In each of these cases, the event of separation is indeed traumatic for the employees and hence, Human Resource Managers must proceed with utmost caution.
In our experience, we have found that the more sympathetic and empathic the organization is, the better are the chances that the separation would be manageable.
Moreover, it is not only mushy sentiments that are involved here and given the fact that firing of workers should be done as part of the contractual agreements, it is more the reason for organizations to tread carefully lest they are sued for wrongful termination and asked to pay hefty compensation.
Indeed, firing of workers is usually a fraught affair and one that can lead to legal and regulatory complications unless handled carefully and judiciously.
Soften the Blow and Sweeten the Pill
As discussed so far, firing and downsizing need to be handled well and there are some ways and methods that HR managers can employ to soften the blow and lessen the trauma associated with firing.
For instance, they can offer the fired worker use of the companyís office space for a few weeks so that he or she can use the resources such as the Computers, the Printers, and the Fax Machines to apply for new jobs.
In addition, HR managers can be generous with the Severance Package so that the firing process is sweetened with monetary incentives.
For instance, we have found that negotiations over the severance package are usually the most contentious and most tense since they involve significant sums of money.
Indeed, we have come across some employees who are about to be fired and who hire attorneys to help them negotiate a handsome if not fair severance package.
Apart from this, there is also the other important aspect of Healthcare and Pension benefits that fired employees are entitled to.
Of course, the former ceases upon exit and it is only for those Senior Employees that organizations typically let the Insurance coverage continue for a few months more. In addition, it is also the case that pension benefits are pro rated at the time of exit and paid to the employee accordingly.
On the other hand, downsized employees cannot expect their perks to be monetized on a pro rata basis and hence, they need to plan accordingly.
Handling the Actual Firing Event with Empathy and Firmness
Coming to the actual hiring interview and how HR managers can break the news to the employees, one must remember that this aspect is perhaps the most important from an emotional and personal perspective.
While we have discussed the financial benefits and other tangible ones, the intangible aspect lies in how HR managers handle the firing event.
For instance, we have come across employees who are often taken out for lunch or for coffee and then informed about the decision to fire them so that it can be conveyed in a more humane manner.
Indeed, while in the West, firing is commonplace and by this time, most firms and their employee know what to expect and how to behave, in India, in White Collar firms, there is often a disturbing lack of Emotional Intelligence when firing employees.
One need not go far than look for the instances of the many employees who were laid off in the IT (Information Technology) sector over the last few years to understand why there is a need to sensitize the HR managers to take a more empathic approach.
As can be seen from the many news items that described how employees were fired in a rude and abrupt manner, such examples diminish the hard won reputation of the firms and hence, we contend that it is high time India Inc. developed a template for firing that embraces a people first approach rather than a profit oriented approach alone.
Having said that, we also acknowledge that one cannot behave like in an Indian Wedding where the actual act of the married couple leaving their parental homes is done in a highly emotional manner.
What we want to emphasize is that HR managers tread the fine line between hard and cold facts and emotional and subjective aspects so that the firing event is conducted professionally without name calling.
To conclude, it is hard to let go and harder to leave yet, all sides must be professional and behave like adults.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!