Why are Professional Sports Franchises Increasing in Value?
The sports business has traditionally not been a very lucrative one. It was common for the valuation of sports franchises to stay stagnant for a large number of years or even drop down as the years progressed. However, all this has changed drastically now. It is now common for sports team franchises to drastically go up in value.
For the past decade or so, the rise in the value of the sports franchises has been so high that it has consistently beaten the S&P 500 which is considered to be the most reliable benchmark for measuring investment performance. There have been many cases of franchises going up five to six times in valuation in a matter of two decades.
This phenomenal and consistent rise in valuation has caught the eye of several financial analysts who have tried to analyze the reason behind the sudden rise in the valuation of sports franchises. Some of the common reasons behind this rise have been mentioned below:
- Limited Supply: Firstly, it is important to realize that there is a limited supply of sporting league franchises across the world. This is largely because of the fact that most sporting leagues have a monopoly over the sport they play in a particular region.
Also, almost every region in the developed world already has a sporting league. Hence, there is almost no chance of a lot more leagues being created and hence a lot more franchises coming up for sale.
In the previous articles, we have already read that it is not advisable for sports leagues to have more than a certain number of franchises. As a result of all these factors, the supply side of the equation is deeply constrained. There are very few if any, new franchises that are coming up for sale. As per the basic law of economics, this constrained supply is bound to lead to an increase in the valuation of sports franchises.
- Rise of Billionaires: The supply-side limitation is happening simultaneously with a demand-side boom. This is the reason that the increases in the valuation of professional sports franchises are taking place continuously.
There are many new types of businesses that are helping create new billionaires. There are more billionaires that exist today as compared to any time in the history of the world. A lot of these billionaires are interested in buying professional sports franchises. This is the reason that the demand is going through the roof and causing the valuations of professional sports teams to increase rapidly.
- Vanity Purchases: It is also important to note that most of the billionaires who purchase professional sports leagues do not make these purchases considering the cash flow and return on investment of these purchases.
The ownership of a professional sports league is considered to be a status symbol. As a result, a lot of the prospective buyers are willing to pay a premium for being able to own these clubs. It is for this reason that the revenue multiple or the profit multiple received by these professional clubs is generally higher than those received by other similar businesses. Since the purchase is a vanity purchase, the economic laws related to luxury goods apply. Hence, there is almost no downward pressure on prices while at the same time, there is tremendous upward pressure.
- Rise of Digital Media: The valuation being given to professional sports teams is increasing because of two main reasons. On the one hand, it is true that the revenue multiple being given to professional sports teams is increasing day by day.
However, it is also true that the revenue being generated by professional sports teams is also increasing rapidly. This is because of the fact that earlier professional sports teams were only able to generate revenue from ticket sales. However, with the advent of television, the revenue-generating potential increased exponentially. The same is happening now again because of the rapid adoption of digital media.
The advent of digital media is now opening more opportunities and changing the revenue-generating potential to a large extent. Hence, a higher revenue combined with a higher revenue multiple is leading to sky-high valuations.
Rise of Fantasy Gaming
Last but not least, fantasy gaming has emerged as an important source of revenue for professional sports leagues across the world. The amount of money being generated by sports leagues via fantasy gaming is increasing rapidly.
Now, it is important to note that sports franchises are getting an increasing share of the fantasy gaming pie. This additional source of revenue is significantly raising revenues. Also, it is likely to grow at a very high pace in the years to come as well. The end result is that both the revenue as well as the revenue multiples are being raised and the value of the sports franchise is going up.
From the above points, we can easily see why the valuation of almost every sports franchise is increasing at a rapid pace. However, we also need to understand that this may not necessarily be a good thing.
In many parts of the world, it has been observed that these rising valuations have resulted in poor management of sporting franchises. This is because the owners know that the value of their franchise can only increase over time and hence are not interested in managing the franchise in an effective and efficient manner.
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By “Prachi Juneja” and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Finance in Sports Management
- Sports Management Companies: Sources of Financing
- What is Sports Franchising?
- Sports League Franchise Agreement
- Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues
- Issues in Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues
- How Salary Caps Work in Sports Leagues?
- Advantages of Salary Caps
- Disadvantages of Salary Caps
- Alternative To Salary Caps: Luxury Tax
- Sources of Revenue: Broadcasting Rights
- How are Broadcasting Rights Revenue Split Amongst Franchises?
- Common Issues with Revenue Generated from Broadcasting Right
- Digital Media Rights and Sports League Financing
- Sports League Sponsorships: A Primer
- Types of Sponsorships Given to Individual Players
- The Economics of Sports Leagues
- Why Do Sponsors Fund Teams in Sports Leagues?
- Title Sponsorship and its Disadvantages
- Advantages of Title Sponsorship
- Team Sponsorship: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Objectives of Sponsorships
- Factors Affecting Selection of Sponsorship of Sports Event
- Risks Associated with Sponsorship from Sponsor’s Perspective
- Risks Associated with Sponsorship from Sponsored Entity’s Perspective
- Level Based Sponsorship (Tiered Sponsorship)
- Issues With Sponsorship Levels
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Sports Sponsorships
- Issues Related to Sponsorship Evaluation
- Source of Revenue: Fantasy Sports Leagues
- Benefits of Fantasy Sports Leagues
- Source of Revenue: Sports Merchandising
- Issues With Merchandising
- How are Organizational Aspects of Sports Leagues Linked to Finance
- The Optimal Size of a Sports League
- Why are Professional Sports Franchises Increasing in Value?
- Use of Price to Revenue Ratio in Valuing Sports Franchises
- Factors Impacting the Valuation of a Sports Franchise
- Income Approach to Valuation of Sports Franchises
- Valuation of Sports Franchises: Discount Rate Calculation
- Issues in Determining Discount Rate for Valuation of Sports Franchises
- Valuation of Sports Franchises: Discount Rate Calculation
- Replacement Cost Approach Advantages and Disadvantages
- Valuation of a Sports Franchise: Market Approach
- How Team Performance Affects Valuation?
- Issues With the Valuation of Sports Franchises
- Impact of Technology on Sporting Finance
- Revenue From Releasing Players for International Tournaments
- Private Equity Investments in the Sports World
- Disadvantages of Private Equity Investment in Sporting Franchises
- Why do Sporting Franchises Lease Out Stadiums?
- Disadvantages of Leasing Out Stadiums
- Accounting for Stadium Leases
- Lease Accounting: Right of Use Asset
- The Case Against Government Funding for Sports Stadiums
- Public-Private Partnership in Stadium Financing
- Advantages of Public Private Partnership Model
- Risks in Public-Private Partnerships
- What is Sports Tourism?
- Pros and Cons of Sports Tourism
- How Sporting Franchises Help Billionaires to Plan Their Taxes
- What is Jock Tax and How is it Calculated?
- Jock Taxes: Pros and Cons
- Valuation of a Player
- Financial Doping and Financial Fair Play
- Pros and Cons of Financial Fair Play Rules
- Debt Funding in Sports Franchises
- Involvement of the Franchisor in Debt Funding
- Debt Ceiling in Sporting World
- Pros and Cons of Debt Ceilings in Sports Leagues
- Securitization and Sports Finance
- Types of Securitizations in Sporting Franchises
- Advantages of Securitization in Sports
- Disadvantages of Securitization in Sports
- Accounting for Player Contracts
- Impairment in Sporting Franchises and Player Contracts
- Accounting for Players Who Have been Promoted Internally
- Why Government Should Not Invest Public Money in Sports Stadiums Used by Professional Franchises