Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
Why Indian Industry is Clamouring for Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws?
In recent months, there has been lot of clamour from the Indian Corporates and MSMEs or the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises to the government to allow them to hire and fire workers and professionals at will.
Hire and Fire at Will labour policies are those that allow firms to lay off workers whenever they deem so or whenever the market conditions are bad without seeking permission from the government.
At present, Indian laws dictate some specific rules that govern the hiring and firing of workers.
These rules pertain to how Corporates and other units can only fire workers if they can prove that there is a legitimate business reason to do so.
Moreover, the laws also specify that workers should be given compensation as well. However, the ongoing economic recession wrought by the Covid Pandemic has heavily constrained Corporates and MSMEs as they can no longer sustain their operations and hence, they are asking for the government to allow them to downsize workers.
Indeed, the demand has been so vociferous that the Central and State governments are either passing laws or framing them to this effect.
Hire and Fire at Will Policies are Meaningless in the Absence of a Safety Net for Workers
Having said that, a key question that must be asked is whether such Hire and Fire at Will policies work in the Indian Socio-Cultural-Political- Economic context.
For instance, while it is common in the West for firms to hire and fire at will, there are many experts who believe that this does not work in India.
This is because in India, there is no concept of Unemployment Assistance or Dole as it is also known wherein the government provides monetary assistance to the unemployed workers.
Contrast this with the situation in the West where governments provide the same to those who have been rendered jobless.
Moreover, the Social Security and the Safety Net for laid off workers is not as robust as it is in the West and even the Provident Fund is usually not enough for this.
Therefore, there must be adequate due diligence done before the Indian governments at the Centre and States pass laws to this effect.
In addition, there must be specific safeguards for the workers being laid off by giving them enough severance pay and other benefits so that they have a cushion to support themselves and their families in the aftermath of being fired.
Do Hire and Fire at Will Labour Policies Work in the Indian Socio-Political Context?
Moreover, there are specific cultural and political factors at play here as well. For instance, being fired or laid off from the job has negative cultural connotations in the Indian context.
Havent we all heard about our relatives talking disparagingly about others who have been fired or laid off from their jobs?
In addition, the Indian Economy is not as Market Developed as those in the West where culturally, socially, and politically, there is broader acceptance of the fact that corporates fire worker at will depend the state of the economy.
On the other hand, in India, we have not yet reached a state where the general population is attuned to market movements.
Further, there are strong political lobbies that agitate on behalf of the workers unlike in the United States where once powerful labour unions have been weakened over the years.
Indeed, one can go as far as to say that the Political Economy of India is not yet structurally, culturally, and politically aligned to the Hire and Fire at Will policies.
Of course, this is changing as India moves to reform its economy further and hence, the question now is how to implement such policies going forward.
Implementing Hire and Fire Policies in a Humane and Just Manner with a Human Face
To start with, the Central and State governments have to get their act together and ensure that there are adequate social safety nets for the laid off workers.
Moreover, even if such laws are passed, they should not absolve the Corporates and MSMEs from showing legitimate and genuine reasons why they should lay off workers.
For instance, some Indian Corporates, including Marquee firms routinely resort to underhand firing of workers by asking them to put in their papers en masse instead of officially laying them off so that they can evade paying them the benefits of severance pay.
In addition, the government also has to ensure that the MSMEs that are usually the worst culprits as far as Hire and Fire at Will policies are concerned and rein them in so that there are all safeguards are followed.
Moreover, there must be some sort of governmental assistance to laid off workers.
If paying Dole is not possible, there must at least a Universal Basic Income kind of assistance wherein the laid off workers are able to support themselves and their families before they find a job. Indeed, unless these protections are put in place, the government should not hurry up.
Last, it remains to be asked as to why those Corporates with adequate Cash Reserves must lay off workers when they are not stopping paying Dividends to their Shareholders.
In other words, Labour is as much a factor of production as is Capital and hence, there must be an effort to protect the interests of both instead of mollycoddling the later alone.
To conclude, given these constraints, it is our view that while Reform is good and should be welcomed, it must be done with a Human Face and in a Humane Manner in order to ensure fair Social Justice.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!