Writing a Leadership Development Plan
Preparing a leadership development plan is not an easy task. The entire process involves a comprehensive effort and careful planning at every stage.
Various steps go into the development of a leadership development plan. The process starts with an initial phase of self-assessment and the data collected from self-assessments is then used for defining the vision and goals.
The next stage is the stage of the definition of SMART objectives which contribute towards the enablement of the objectives and identification of the competencies which help in the realization of these objectives.
Common Elements which can be included in a Development Plan
- Character Development: This is the central area of focus of leadership development which involves identification and development of core competencies which play a stellar role in developing a lead character.
- Example Setting & Leading: This involves outlining those behaviours which a leader would like to follow. It is concerned with the identification of desirable or successful behaviours.
- Extension of Leadership Experience: It is concerned with the extension of leadership experience by handling challenging assignments, taking appropriate leadership development training and extensive reading to stay abreast with the best practices in management and various leadership techniques.
Steps which are required to be taken after writing a leadership development plan:
The stage of implementation of a leadership plan involves the following key aspects:
- Communicating the plan: This deals with disclosing the development plan to someone who can be of help in self-improvement or development of the leadership competencies.
- Periodic monitoring of the progress: This stage is primarily related to setting up of a system which will help in monitoring the performance periodically and implementing necessary improvements as required.
For keeping the motivation levels high, apart from regular monitoring, rewarding achievements is also crucial as a leader progresses through various stages of the development plan.
Strategies for Leadership Development
- Self-Assessment for Leadership Development: The process of leadership development starts with recruitment of new talents or on-boarding of new hires. The new joiners can carve their development plans by indulging in personal assessments and individual development plans.
Employee retention and motivation can be achieved by engaging the employees in career development programs which can also be combined with mentoring support and facilitation.
- Mentoring as well as coaching support for Developing Leadership Capabilities: By having an efficiently planned mentoring program, employee retention percentage can be improved through comprehensive facilitation and support for developing the required skills and talents.
Mentors offer a structured and a transparent feedback to the mentees on their progress at work, their areas of improvement and also suggest a remedial plan of action for developing their leadership talent.
- Leadership Development Aligned with Technology: By implementing an integrated online software solution, the entire process of leadership development can be managed efficiently from the level of start till the end.
Critical operations from the stage of onboarding of an employee, implementation of employee engagement and retention initiatives, to mentoring & coaching for performance enhancement, strategizing succession planning to fill up important leadership positions, can be efficiently managed by using technology.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Leadership - Introduction
- Importance of Leadership
- Role of a Leader
- Qualities of a Leader
- Leadership and Management
- Leader versus Manager
- Authority vs Leadership
- Leadership and Motivation
- Emotional Intelligence for Leaders
- Organizational Leadership
- Leadership Ethics
- Leadership Strategy
- Leadership Styles
- Personal Leadership Brand
- Level 5 Leadership
- Situational Leadership
- Situational Leadership and Motivation
- Leadership & Subordinate Development
- Leadership Development - Introduction
- Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Motivation
- Inside Leaders vs. Outside Leaders
- Transformational Leadership
- Leadership for the 21st Century
- The Transleader
- Three Traits of Effective Leadership
- Importance of Compassion in Leadership
- An Important Advice to Future Leaders
- Avoiding Focus on Quarterly Earnings
- Reinventing Management for 21st Century
- Ambidextrous Leadership
- Invest in Oneself
- Social Media Skills for Leaders
- Social Stratification and Hierarchy
- The Ethical Imperative
- Leadership in the Face of Adversity
- Emotional and Spiritual Intelligence
- Leadership Theories
- Blake and Moutons Managerial Grid
- Houses Path Goal Theory
- Great Man Theory
- Trait Theory
- LMX Theory
- Transformational Leadership
- Transactional Leadership
- Continuum of Leadership Behaviour
- Likerts Management System
- Hersey Blanchard Model
- Fiedlers Contingency Model
- Leadership and Trust
- How to be a Good Leader ?
- Effective Leadership Skills
- Leadership Vision
- Different Types of Power
- Women and Leadership
- What are the Challenges in Leadership ?
- Tips to Overcome Challenges in Leadership
- Role of Communication in Overcoming Leadership Challenges
- Role of Management/Organization in Overcoming Leadership Challenges
- Tips to Strengthen Bond Among Employees
- Vision of Leaders has to be Actualized by Middle Management for Organizational Success
- Leadership in the Time of Epic Changes and Struggles Over Ethics and Values
- Great Leadership is about Initiating, Sustaining, and Carrying through Ones Vision
- Cultural Dimensions of Leadership
- Scarcity vs. Abundant Mindsets in Leaders
- Different Folks, Different Strokes! The Many Leadership Styles in the Real World
- Persuasion and the Art of Changing Minds are Essential for Contemporary Leaders
- Managing in Chaos: A Necessary Skill for Managers and Leaders
- Leadership in the Contemporary World
- Need to Develop Network Thinking and Seventh Sense for Success in the 21st Century
- Why Do Some Business Leaders Attain Greatness Whereas Others Fail?
- Hands on Approach to Leadership: The Need for Leaders to be Good Administrators
- How Great Leaders Transform Organizations, Nations, Societies, and the World
- Why Business and Political Leaders Must be Institution Builders to Ensure Longevity
- Qualities of an Inspirational Leader and their Benefits
- Foundation Pillars of Successful Leaders
- Self Assessment for Leadership: Assessing the Strengths and Vulnerabilities for Improving Leadership Effectiveness
- Self Motivation for Leaders
- Techniques for Developing Self-Motivation
- Leadership Development Plan
- Writing a Leadership Development Plan
- When Hope Meets Reality: The Challenges for Leaders to Sustain the Momentum
- The Challenge for Contemporary Leaders is to Restore Trust and Faith in Institutions
- The Ever Shortening Business Cycles and What They Mean for Business Leaders
- Leadership Case Study: Steve Jobs - The Man Who Ushered in the Smartphone Revolution
- Why Leaders Must be in Control over the Direction and Pace of Organizational Change
- The 4Cs of Leadership Styles for Leadership in the Digital Age
- Lessons for Business Leaders from the Downfall of Charles Ghosn of Renault - Nissan
- Truly Great Leadership is All about Walking the Talk in All Aspects of Being Leaders
- Examining the Crisis of the Leader Follower Relationship in the Present Times
- How Great Leaders use a Mix of Micromanagement and Hands off Approaches
- Leadership during Crises is what Distinguishes Great Leaders from Manager Leaders
- What the Dalai Lama can teach Corporate Honchos about Leadership and Management
- Why we Need more Emotionally Intelligent Leaders and Managers in Chaotic Times
- Why the Digital Age Calls for a New Approach to Leadership and Team Management
- Business Leadership in the Age of Nationalism and Populism and the Rocky Road Ahead
- Leadership in a Collapsing World When Faced with Insurmountable Problems
- The Importance of Thought Leaders and Influencers in the Age of Social Media
- Leadership by Optics Management: Taking the Howdy Modi Event as a Case Study
- What Should Leaders do in Low Growth and Recessionary Times
- What Ails India Inc. and is it a Crisis of Leadership or a Structural Issue to be Addressed?
- The Tyranny of the Quarterly Results: Why Business Leaders must Avoid Short-Termism
- The Perils of Leaders and Their Personality Cults in Times of Authoritarian Rulers
- Leadership in the Digital Age and Why Contemporary Leaders Must Master These Skills
- Misdemeanours by Senior Leaders Must Be Handled Firmly and the Right Message Sent
- When Hope Meets Reality: Why Visionary Leaders Have to Balance Dreams with Realities
- Power as a Managerial Tool
- Why We Need More Self Aware and Less Self Centred Leaders, Who Can Self Evaluate