Characteristics of a Good/Effective Team
Success in the workplace depends on your ability to build a team, as well as to interact with others on that team. Together, people are able to accomplish what one person alone can not. This is known as synergy.
Following are the characteristics of a Good/Effective team:
- A clear, elevating goal: This is a goal which has been communicated to all.
- A results-driven structure: The goal has been jointly decided by all the team members. They are fully committed towards achieving it.
- Competent members: Each team member has the required skill set in order to achieve the team objectives.
- Unified commitment: There is nothing happening in silos. With the total commitment from team members, achieving organizational goals becomes easier.
- A collaborative climate: Commitment from team members and a good leadership leads to a collaborative team with a productive work environment.
- Standards of excellence: Quality orientation is vital to the success of any organization.
- External support and recognition: Appreciation as well as appraisal is required to keep the morale of the team high.
- Principled leadership: Leadership defines a team. An able-bodied leadership can chart the teams path to success.
- Each team member participates actively and positively in meetings as well as projects. This shows a persons commitment as well as understanding towards a project.
- Team goals are clearly understood by all: Communication is vital for achieving successful completion of any project.
- Individual members have thought about creative solutions to the teams problem. Thinking out of the box is vital in todays economic scenario.
- Members are listened to carefully as well as given a thoughtful feedback. Listening is an important skill for any team. Each team member is important. The thoughts and ideas of each team member have to be listened to, with respect, no matter how silly they may sound at first.
- Everyone takes the initiative in order to get things done. There is no concept of passing the buck. This is an indication of clear communication leading to understanding of individual responsibilities.
- Each team member trusts the judgment of others: Mutual trust and respect is highly important for the team. This is the only way to achieve the organization goals.
- The team has to be willing to take risks: Risk taking is an attitude which comes with confidence. Confidence on yourself as well as on the team, besides the ability to face all consequences.
- Everyone has to be supportive of the project as well as of others. A team is one unit. Unless these cohesive forces are there, the team will never be able to work efficiently enough.
- There is ample communication between the team members.
- Team decisions are made by using organized as well as logical methods.
- Dissenting opinions are never ignored: In fact, they are always recorded in order to be revisited in case the future situations dictate so.
- Teams are given realistic deadlines: External support as well as aid is vital to the success of any team.
An efficient team needs support from both inside and outside. It needs to meet the individual needs of its members in order to achieve the organizations goals.
Management Study Guide (MSG) is an educational portal launched with the vision of providing students and corporate workforces worldwide with access to rich, easy to understand, frequently updated instruction on many management related topics.
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
A Smarter Way to Study....short presentations, real results
- Optimum lively Graphics and Animation to make the concept easy to understand
- Engaging PPTs which are a fast, effective, short and concise, with lots of examples to help you master the subject quickly
- Enter Your Email Id & Download 9 FREE Powerpoint Presentations Now!