White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
What do Surveys and Research into the American Workforce Reveal about White Collar Americans
Latest surveys by reputed HR (Human Resource) consultancies reveal that nearly half of all Americans in white collar jobs are facing stress and burnout more than ever.
Indeed, the Future Forum, a research firm specializing in workforce trends has come out with the findings of a survey where 41% of all Americans in white collar professions have reported extreme stress and burnout at the end of 2022, more than ever even during the pandemic years.
Further, the results of this research paint a dire state of the mental health of the American workforce, as it adapts and adjusts to the New Normal of the post pandemic world.
While the burnout and stress are higher than ever, there is some reason for cheer as the American workforce is marginally better off than their global (more so the Europeans) counterparts in terms of experiencing burnout.
The reasons cited for these responses include high levels of stress due to economic uncertainties, fear of getting laid off, and the most important aspect of all, which is the time taken to adjust to the return to office requirements of employers.
Exponential and Accelerating Technological Change is Making Americans Disoriented and Disjointed
As if these were not enough, the Future Forum also found that having to adapt to fast changing technological trends and tools, as well as complex apps, is draining the American white collar workers.
While technology has been around for decades, and white collar Americans have found ways and means to adapt and learn the new tech tools and apps, what is different this time is the sheer mind boggling numbers of tools, software, and apps that the average American uses as part of his or her everyday work.
Indeed, research by a separate consultancy revealed that large firms and corporates have apps running into the hundreds that are expected to be used by their employees.
Moreover, the Exponential Acceleration that is the hallmark of the Smartphone era brings its own set of challenges as white collar Americans have to contend with rapid change and dizzying pace of innovation that is simply overwhelming them and driving them to stress and burnout.
Added to this are the trends such as The Great Resignation, Quiet Quitting, and Rage Quitting, which are both the outcome of stress and burnout as they are the contributors to them. The Americans are not having it easy.
White Collar Americans are Yet to adjust to the New Normal of the Post Pandemic Workplaces
Having said that, one must also understand that the pandemic and its impact on all of us is going to linger on for some more time.
For instance, news reports suggest that the average American worker has yet to fully adjust and adapt to The New Normal of the post pandemic workplace, in the sense of grappling with Return to Office as well as having increased Face Time with his or her peers and colleagues.
Indeed, the consensus among experts is that the pandemic and the subsequent impacts have left us all frazzled and disoriented that is causing more white collar workers to experience stress and burnout.
In addition, the increasing instances of layoffs in large corporates are taking their toll as well. Given that there is also a heightened sense of uncertainty over the future of the American economy, what with high inflation and the cost of living crisis compounding such worries, and one gets an idea of the kind of stress that the average Joe (an expression that describes the typical American) is going through.
Perhaps a significant stressor here is also the toxic and partisan nature of the political discourse that is making Americans edgy and nervous.
The Economic and Social Consequences of the Burnout of White Collar Americans on the Future
So, what can be done about this? More importantly, what are the economic, social, and behavioral consequences of these gloomy predictions? For one, business leaders have their task cut out in terms of reaching out to their employees and reassuring them about jobs, pay, and flexible working conditions.
Sadly this is not happening yet and instead, what we have are regular drumbeats and announcements of layoffs. Further, there is not a peep yet from the societal stakeholders about building support systems for the pandemic hit American workforce.
Of course, this is not to say that the business leaders are just looking out for the money and the costs that can be cut by making their workers go through the stressors discussed so far.
However, our contention here is that not much is being done to help the battered American workforce. More so the women who are not even eligible for maternity leave as the United States is the only nation among the developed countries to not have paid maternal leave.
In addition, child care costs are increasing as are incidents of targeted hate at immigrants and minorities. These are some of the social costs of the fragmentation of American professionals.
Last, these surveys also present findings which show that globally, the peers of the Americans are not doing better and indeed, in some indicators, faring worse than the latter.
What this means is that this white collar burnout has gone global and it is the degree to which the stress impacts and the support systems that alleviate it are the key differentiators. In a way, this proves that all of us are in the same boat.
To conclude, the chronic burnout can become an epidemic, and if unaddressed, it can result in a lost generation of workers amongst global workforces.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!