As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
What is The New Normal and why is it so challenging For American Corporates
Among the changes that the Covid pandemic forced on corporates and professionals, WFH or Work from Home and Remote Work were the most significant aspects of the impact of the pandemic on the world of work. Now that the threat of further waves of infections has somewhat diminished (though experts are warning of another wave), American corporates have begun ordering their employees back to office.
We used the word ordering as recent surveys have shown that a majority of the American workforce prefers WFH, Remote, or Hybrid (a combination of the above two along with Onsite work) modes of working arrangements. Therefore, it is the case that American corporates are facing HR (Human Resource) and organizational challenges in making their employees work from the office. However, this reluctance is not the only challenge and as we shall discuss, there are other challenges as well in terms of reorienting employees to Onsite work, facilitating the acclimatization of younger professionals to the Onsite work environment, and so on.
Most of these challenges pertain to the adjustment of employees to The New Normal of work brought about by the pandemic.
How the Gen Zers are the Worst Hit by the Pandemic and Next, the Millennials
Let us take the case of younger professionals below the age of 40. If Millennials are those between the ages of 25 to 40, who would have started their careers before the pandemic struck and most of them have either settled down or looking to leap to the next level, the Gen Zers are those below the age of 25 who are starting their careers and were the most affected by the pandemic.
Indeed, while the Millennials have more or less adjusted and adapted first to WFH now to Onsite work, it is a Double Whammy for the Gen Zers. First, they are just starting their careers and the Virtual On boarding and lack of physical and face to face mentoring, so crucial in the initial phase of careers, had hit them hard.
As the pandemic progressed, this age cohort more or less reconciled themselves to WFH. However, now they are being asked or ordered to return to Onsite work, thereby necessitating another round of adapting to the New Normal. So, this is the main HR challenge where American corporates have to grapple with the younger members of the workforce and their mental health issues as they start Onsite work again.
Why American Corporates are Wary of the Great Resignation and Quiet Quitting
Having said that, it is not like the Millennials are jumping with joy at the prospect of Onsite work. Indeed, trends such as The Great Resignation, Quiet Quitting, and Moonlighting indicate the fragility of the bond between American corporates and this age cohort.
Recent surveys and research have shown that The Great Resignation is in part driven by the reluctance of the Millennials in returning to Onsite work. Moreover, Quiet Quitting, where American professionals do the bare minimum needed for the job and do not go beyond what is part o the role and the expectations, is another manifestation of the challenges faced by American corporates as employees head back to offices.
Another trend more challenging is Moonlighting where it has been found that many Millennial and even Gen Z professionals are working for multiple employers, thereby breaking the contract between them and their employers. What all these challenges mean is that the American workforce is taking its time in returning to Onsite work making corporates jittery about rubbing their employees the wrong way. Moreover, the Gig Economy is booming, which is another reason for American corporates to be weary and wary of losing talent, if they resume Onsite work.
An Advice to American Corporates: Dont be like Elon Musk, (in) famous for his Orders
Given these challenges, it is natural that American corporates think twice before following in the footsteps of someone like Elon Musk who has become notorious for forcing his employees back to office. If you have noticed, we have been using the term ordering to highlight the distinction between asking and forcing employees to return to office. This usage is because Musk has become (in) famous for using this term and so, it has become part of the popular usage in so far as return to Onsite work is concerned.
Of course, it is not like as though all American business leaders have been so harsh as many Big Tech firms have either made WFH permanent or have adopted Hybrid work to ease the frayed nerves of their employees due to the pandemic.
The point here is that American corporates have to be empathetic and sympathetic to the concerns of their employees in the post pandemic work environment and more than anything else, this is the biggest challenge. More so when the epidemic of stress and burnout are taking their toll on the Millennial and Gen Z age cohorts. Before things deteriorate, it is better to arrive at a mutually beneficial consensus.
Last, whether it is WFH or Onsite work, skilled and capable HR personnel would be able to handle the situations due to the New Normal better than someone who is less emotionally intelligent. This is the reason why the field of HR has become so challenging in the present times. This is also the reason why older professionals like the Boomers and Gen Xers have a duty towards the younger lot in terms of handholding and mentoring them.
To conclude, as American corporates order employees back to Onsite work, significant challenges await them in adjusting to The New Normal.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!