The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
What is the Agile Methodology and Why it is Important?
Wherever we see and look, the business landscape is dominated by news of organizations embracing Agile Methodologies and Automation on a large scale.
These changes in the way organizations operate has implications for all functions and especially impacts the HR or the Human Resource Function as the skills, attributes, and traits that are needed for the workforce would impact the HR profession on the entire end to end HR value chain right from hiring to training and performance appraisals to downsizing and even payroll and compensation management.
Before we proceed, it would be worthwhile to discuss what the Agile Methodology is and how it impacts the organizations.
Agile is a system that mixes all functional roles into a single team wherein each team member is expected to wear all hats at the same time.
In other words, Agile teams are those where the team members design, code, test, implement, and support the software so that each team is self sufficient and compact leading to them becoming more flexible, responsive, adaptable, and better placed to meet the demands of the 24/7 world where organizations and the lead times for them to respond to fast changing market conditions makes it an imperative to be Agile.
How Does Agile Impact the Hiring Process?
So, how does Agile impact the HR processes? To start with, hiring would be transformed since organizations would have to hire employees with multiple skills and attributes instead of looking for specialists.
For instance, an Agile team member would need to have design, coding, testing, implementation, and support skills instead of coding alone or design alone.
Thus, what the HR managers need to do is to hire those employees who can simultaneously have all these skills.
This means that HR managers must design technical tests that are not restricted to a specific skill alone and instead, must have the hiring process vet employees on the mix of skills that are needed.
This extends to the Interview process as well since what interviewers need to test is a range of personality traits and skills which are typically found in those generalists that are flexible and Agile, to put it, in multiple proficiencies.
Moreover, aptitude tests and psychometric testing also has to change to reflect the changed needs and therefore, hiring would be a different ball game altogether. Another key point to note is that sometimes organizations might not be fully Agile ready and hence, the HR managers might have to rely on external consultants or to outsource the hiring process to external agencies.
How Does Agile Impact the Training Process?
As for training, Agile organizations need have different training needs than organizations that follow traditional methodologies.
This because as mentioned earlier, employees have to have multiple skill sets in addition to personality traits that are cutting edge.
Moreover, periodic training processes have to reflect fast changing trends and changes in skill set requirements which mean that lead times for HR to organize training would be shorter in addition to the challenge of constantly updating the training schedules and agendas.
In the same manner in which hiring (or a part of it) might need to be outsourced, training too would need significant external assistance if organizations are to get their workforces Agile ready or be more Agile than the competition.
On the other hand, Reskilling for automation and training for Agile both demand organizations to have their HR functions work in similar lines or in other words, be Agile themselves.
This calls for Train the Trainer programs where the HR personnel themselves are made Agile Ready and Agile Compliant which is another Paradigm Shift in the way organizations and their HR functions operate.
Is Agile a Paradigm Shift or Fancy Jargon Laden Term?
Talking about Paradigm Shifts, Agile is one such shift in the long history of business changes.
Thus, one might very well point to previous iterations of changes and leave it as yet another fancy jargon laden term which only needs minimal adaptation and marginal change to the way the organizations and HR functions work.
Having said that, what is really different with Agile is that it combines Automation and Accelerated Response imperatives which are very different from the way previous shifts in organizational processes experienced.
In other words, these sets of changes are as significant as the ones that occurred in the times of the Industrial Revolution and no wonder; the present changes are being referred to as the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
To meet the challenges of Agile means the HR personnel too would have to step out of their comfort zones and be ready for an entirely different ball game.
They would also need to redesign the apparently mundane systems such as Payroll and the very important Performance Appraisal system to ensure that the most Agile employees are getting the highest raises and the more flexible and adaptable one is, the brighter their bonuses are.
Ready for The Fourth Industrial Revolution with Agile
Lastly, why Agile needs an entirely new HR approach is that it combines the need for multiple skill sets on a technical level with equally important soft skills which mean that HR managers can no longer overlook lack of technical proficiency in favor of soft skills and vice versa.
Therefore, the basket or suite of skills and attributes that are needed for call for redesign of all HR processes.
In addition to hiring, training, retraining, and appraisal, a new approach is needed for self improvement as Agile employees would need to learn and relearn on the job that calls for different appraisal yardsticks.
To conclude, Agile organizations need the HR function to change with them and preferably, be ahead of the curve than them.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!