How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
What are Staffing Agencies, What Do They Do, and Why Are They So Important?
As the name implies, Staffing Agencies are those firms that help corporates in recruiting employees, both part time and full time.
They also assist corporates in hiring Flex Workers and Outsourced workers for shorter term assignments. Indeed, without Staffing Agencies, corporates would be hard pressed to meet all their hiring targets and goals.
On the other hand, Staffing Agencies depend on Corporates for their survival and hence, there is a symbiotic relationship between these two entities.
Moreover, with the ongoing Pandemic increasing the need for corporates to hire part time and Gig Workers, Staffing Agencies have become critical to the success of the corporates as sometimes, they have the part timers on their rolls and place them in the formers offices, and at other times, they simply provide leads to the corporates as to whom to hire from the available jobseekers pool.
In our working careers, we have come across Staffing Agencies that passed on our resumes (after contacting us) to Multinational Corporations, who in turn, interviewed us to determine suitability and fit to the roles that they were hiring.
Therefore, Staffing Agencies are indeed critical and important.
Why Fly by Night Staffing Agencies Create Problems and Avoidable Mess for Jobseekers
Having said that, there are many Staffing Agencies that are Fly by Night operators and who cheat and deceive prospective jobseekers by promising them jobs in reputed corporates as well as assure them that they would place them abroad.
This is something that happens on a daily basis with many Shady and Dubious Staffing Agencies deceiving both the Corporates and the Jobseekers and more so, the latter, by collecting money and then vanishing overnight.
Indeed, this trend of such Staffing Agencies was acute during the Boom Years of the Indian Economy in the 1990s and the 2000s and though, there are lesser reported cases now, it does not mean that such questionable and illegal practices have ceased.
This is the reason why many Industry Bodies have come together to create a database of Accredited Staffing Agencies, whom they recognize officially so that member firms know who and which agencies to hire and select for their staffing needs.
Hopefully, this should help in weeding out the illegal ones and by extension. Help corporates and more importantly, Jobseekers in not being deceived by them. Indeed, the problem has become so acute that even Law Enforcers are routinely advising the stakeholders to beware.
How Some Unscrupulous Corporates and Staffing Agencies Collude to Cheat Jobseekers
On the other hand, there are many Tier 2 and Tier 3 firms or Corporates who are in Cahoots with Staffing Agencies to avoid paying their Employees fair wages or to save money on Provident Fund and other Social Security Benefits.
The Modus Operandi or how they operate is that they ask the Staffing Agencies to recruit employees and then have them on their rolls and place them in their premises.
Once this is done, the firms often pay the Staffing Agencies and in turn, the latter are expected to pay the workers.
However, this practice often ends up in the workers not getting Full Pay or Social Security as was the case during the recent Worker Unrest in the Wistron Plant that manufactures iPhones in Karnataka.
In this incident, the workers were short changed by both the firms and the staffing agencies leading to widespread resentment that led to the violence in the plant.
Therefore, it is not always the case that corporates are at the receiving end and in many such cases, it is the collusion between the agencies and the firms that is to blame for the sorry plight of the workers who lose out as always.
Why Technology Led Better Regulation is the Need of the Hour for the Staffing Industry
What is clear from the preceding discussion is that there must be better regulation of the entire Staffing Agencies and their role in the Business Ecosystem.
While we have discussed how workers and corporates are short changed, there are instances of the agencies themselves falling prey.
This happens when jobseekers disappear after placement leaving the corporates fuming and the agencies wondering where the former are.
In our working experience, we have come across instances of even professionals who disappear midway through the project leaving everyone high and dry.
In these cases, the agencies have to take a hit as they have to compensate the corporates for the actions of their placed workers.
So, it cuts all ways and hence, a case can be made out for an Industry Wide and All Stakeholder cooperation and coordination to ensure that nobody loses out in the process.
In the United States and other Western countries, there is smart use of technology to ensure that corporates, agencies, and jobseekers are all tracked and registered with each other and with the liaising regulator so that there is adequate information on each of them. In addition, the laws are very strict on defaulters and errant actors as well.
Time for Government to Regulate
Last, it goes without saying that in any industry, there are a few Bad Apples and one cannot tarnish the entire sector.
However, in recent years, there have been more and more such cases and hence, it is high time for the governments worldwide to step in and coordinate with each stakeholder and pass laws that regulate the industry in a professional manner.
After all, growing economies need workers and in turn, unemployed youth need jobs, and hence, it is a win-win situation for everyone if there is better regulation. To conclude, Staffing Agencies are here to stay for good.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!